Menu
Husband worship
Mar 5, 2007 13:06
  • CHYNAGYRL
I wonder if someone could answer this question?? I was reading recently about the practice of foot-binding on the Internet. Yeah, pretty lurid stuff -- not reading for the faint of heart definitely.

One website said that the practice of foot-binding came immediately from two major influences. It started as a court practice to make women's feet more beautiful and erotically arousing (during Song Dynasty). But then, when the Mongolians ruled, they were very enthusiastic about foot-binding due to the Mongolian culture of "husband worship" and Confucian thought about women as being of inferior status to men.

What is "husband worship"? Please, no jokes. I really wonder what their practices were at that time.
Mar 5, 2007 19:58
  • MAY001
I don't know exactly what you mean by Husband Worship. In my opinion, Men Worship is much accurate? Chinese women had to follow 三从四德 (San 1 Cong 2 Si 4 De 2). San Cong means you should follow what your father said before your marriag, follow what your husband said after your marriage, follow what your son said once your husband died...
Si De means 妇德 (Fu 4 De 2), 妇言 (Fu 4 Yan 2), 妇容 (Fu 4 Rong 2), 妇功 (Fu 4 Gong 1). Fu De means virtues, Fu Yan means good verbalism, Fu Rong means good manner and Fu Gong means good crafts.
Mar 7, 2007 20:53
  • GRIZ326
Does this help: http://www.womeninworldhistory.com/essay-04.html
Post a Reply to: Husband worship
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code