Menu
Hengshan
Mar 8, 2007 16:16
  • HOEFFE
Hello all,

is there an member of this list thats lives in Hunan and even better in the area of Hengshan.. My adopted daughter lived in this area and especially for her, I like to learn more about it.

Can anyone tell me wich minorities live in the Hunan province... Can you see the difference in face, eyes, ears between the minorities.

Lisette
From The Netherlands
Mar 8, 2007 19:13
  • TRAVELDREAM
Hello Lisette,

I guess most people in cities of Hunan are Han people. You can't judge a person's minority by his/her face, eyes or ears, at least in Hunan you can't. Maybe their clothes will give you some information.
Mar 8, 2007 19:14
  • ELLEN77
I'm not a member from Hunan, but I know Mt. Hengshen is one of the four sacred mountains in China. The minorities there are mainly Miao, Tujia,etc. I think their costumes are different.
Mar 8, 2007 19:26
  • SERENA07
Hi, Lisette,

I graduated from Hunan University last year and I had spent four years of my college time in Hunan province.

The typical minority live in the province should be Miao Minority, I think, especially in the west part of the province. Actually, the Miao people do not have obvious difference in appearance compared with Han people, the Majority of Chinese. They have beautiful and distinctive costumes, however many Miao people just wear them on important festivals. In a few places, the Miao people keep their language well, so we can appreciate the excellent songs in their language.
Mar 9, 2007 03:29
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Lisette,
I have some friends who have just moved to Hunan Province. They will be living and working just outside of Changsha later in the year. I see that Hengshan is about 100kms south of the capital. I'll ask them how close they will be to the city and if they can give us any information when they have settled in. I am even considering visiting them this coming May holiday as I enjoyed my last visit to the Province so much. I have been to the western areas on Hunan, where th minorities are predominantly Miao and Tujia. Is your daughter believed to be from a minority? If you do 'google' on the Miao and Tujia you will find quite a lot of interesting details about them.
Of course the best thing will be to return here one day and have a look first hand with your daughter.

All the best.
J
Mar 9, 2007 10:41
  • HOEFFE
Hi JABAROOTOO ,

Thanks for your nice reply! The orphanage of my daughter is just a few miles from the Nanyue temple in a city (village) called Kai Yu Town.
In 2004 I had the change to visit the orphanage, but it was all organised and I was just an hour in the orphanage and no time for sightseeing.
Not much change to take much pictures, only while driving in the bus.
I am so curious how the daily live will be in this area. Everything is changing so fast!
So if your friends or you will be in the neighbourhoud this Summer, photo's and stories are welcome.
We will try to visit the area again in 2009.

Lisette
The Netherlands
Oct 24, 2007 12:48
GUEST22120 My daughter is also adopted from Hengshan this year. Based on her facial features, we have been told that she is most likely a Miao. When you look at the pictures of Miaos there are clearly facial features that differ from Han Chinese. Mostly rounder eyes and very full lips.

I would also be interested in finding out if there is a Miao village near Hengshan as I understand Miaos tend to be in Western Hunan.

J
Nov 2, 2007 17:15
  • HOEFFE
Hi,

maybe its an idea to start an new topic with your question about the Miao village in the neighbourhood of Hengshan, because I get not much respons on my question of Hengshan, so I am not sure many people read it./
Post a Reply to: Hengshan
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code