Menu
How much to take?
Mar 16, 2007 08:50
  • KOSCIAP
Hi,

This is going to be my first BIG backpacking trip. I was wondering how much I can take to be bale to have on my back all I need and still feel comfortable. I know there's no rule for that, but myabe any ideas? I'm just an avarage girl with no extra power of muscles. The trip is 3-4 months so that's quite a long time.

Thanks for any ideas
Mar 16, 2007 09:34
  • LIONPOWER
Yes, no such hard & fast rules.
No need to carry weighty items.
You may carry only your personal and daily need items.
Every thing is available in China and cheap, if you have money.
Mar 16, 2007 10:04
  • JABAROOTOO
Travel light.

But be sure to bring good quality shoes that are comfortable as you'll do a lot of walking with or without your pack, something warm and waterproof of course and any medications you may require.

Everything else in the way of toiletries you can replenish as you go. You'd be surprised what you can manage with in the way of clothes, just a couple of changes and if they need replacing, you can easily find great buys here.

Be sure to bring all the camera gear you'll need too and a flash drive for storing digital photos if you have a digital camera. Your travel guide and something to read and a dairy if you are inclined will be the most weighty things you'll have to carry.

Happy trails
Mar 16, 2007 10:22
  • KOSCIAP
Thanks for answers! And a few more questions...
If I'm going there (start in Beijing) in April will I need a heavy shoes or would some kind of sandals be enough? And how is the weather in the evenings and nights in April/May in the Northern and Central parts of China? I found some weather charts but they are not saying what is the difference between day and night temepratures. Will I need any warm jackets (they are quite heavy, and since i'll be moving south i guess i wont need it very long).

Thanks!!!
Mar 16, 2007 11:01
  • GRIZ326
I don't know much about women's sandals, but you are likely to do a tremendous amount of walking and must take good care of your feet.

I wore heavy trekking shoes last year in July with heavy cotton socks. I brought sandals but never wore them.
Mar 16, 2007 12:38
  • APAULT
Most backpackers carry too much, tho many simply fly and taxi so it is not a great issue for them. I have backpacked over several decades. I keep my backpack weight very low. 15kg is too much. I wash clothes most nights though they dont alwasy dry overnight. But with clothes bring the minimum possible and buy extra in China as they are so cheap. carry clothes for their usefulness not for colour co-ordination etc. Carry shampoo, not shampoo and soap and bodywash. No hair driers, cut yr hair shorter instead. I only carry one medium size towel. Most hotels supply a towel tho some are miniscule or very thin. Don't forget the beer bottle cap opener, the essential item :)

I have just one pair of shoes: good joggers/trainers. For a while I had one good pair of sandals but I prefer joggers for rougher terrain. NOT both!

Mar 16, 2007 21:20
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
The north in April or May will not be especially cool, although it may be a little chilly overnight in April. May will be starting to warm up. You will need to keep yourself warm, but you certainly won't need heavy winter-weight stuff. A pair of sport shoes/sneakers, a sweater/jersey/pullover or polar fleece, and a windbreaker should be more than adequate. That'll probably be too much by the time May rolls around, so keep the heavier stuff to the minimum if you'll be heading south, because by May Day it'll already be stinking hot down there. Maybe a light windbreaker that's waterproof so it can double as a raincoat? Anyway, it certainly won't be frigid. Of course, further inland, further north, or higher altitudes will be cooler, so look very carefully at where you're going.

For reference purposes: Here in Beijing right now the temperatures are currently ranging from 0, 1 or 2 overnight to 10, 11, 12 during the day. By May Day it should be mid- to late- teens overnight, mid-twenties during the day, quite comfortable, though you might want a little extra clothing overnight- something light, not too much.

I second Apault- keep it light as possible. And remember you can easily buy enough extras if you're caught short.
Post a Reply to: How much to take?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code