Menu
Your valuables back home...
Mar 16, 2007 18:01
  • GRIZ326
I am planning to move to China in 18 months to teach English. I am allowing for at two years...maybe more...

I have an assortment of items of great personal value to me. Some of them cannot legally be brought to China and some of them are family heirlooms with only sentimental value.

My question is: What did you do with those irreplaceable treasures that you had back home that you could not sensibly bring to China?

I have a trustworthy friend, but he is old enough that he might pass away during my time in China. In the hands of his children, those treasures would be lost.

Clearly, if China becomes your new home, you bring over the items you can and sell the rest... But how did you hand it in this issue?

Perhaps by the time I am ready to make the trip I will simply decide not be possessed by possessions. However, I am not yet ready for that decision and am considering my options.
Mar 16, 2007 18:36
  • CHYNAGYRL
Do you have any relatives you can leave your belongings with? Those are too precious to just throw away.
Mar 16, 2007 19:52
  • GRIZ326
My family is 2000 miles away...otherwise that would be a reasonable option. Under the circumstances, the cost of moving these things would be troublesome.
Mar 18, 2007 13:26
  • APAULT
i have been downsizing for several years but it is hard to give up some of the belongings. After selling all I could or wanted to I put stuff in commercial storage, but then I realised it was costing more than it's worth, so I sold some more. Now I am down to about 20 cardboard boxes in my son's garage. What I have learnt is that it is hard to part with some 'treasured items' but once you have disposed of them you don't miss them all that much - well I think this is true for men but not so sure for women! I have kept some truly treasured items like fishing rods which I will need when I go on my 5 year caravan tour of Australia :) Practicality not sentimentality allows me to keep them :) :)

If you have heirlooms which you don't actually want, why not pass them on to the next generation now?
Mar 19, 2007 04:12
  • FAERIEQUEENE
there should be “storage” service with the movers if necessary, the cost of which should be negotiated in the contract if posting from your home country, and moving back is a headache... be careful not to buy too easily here, everything is exotic and seems cheaper
Mar 19, 2007 09:40
  • GRIZ326
Thank you everyone.

I looked into buying a temperature-controlled safe to put in a local storage unit. *hehehehe* I could buy several round trip tickets to China for that!

I believe apault is correct about this. Passing on the treasures now and selling off the rest is probably the best course of action.

:-/
Mar 30, 2007 01:47
  • JANFRISK
Best is, but it's of course not that easy, to just give the all might away, to whom you most concern, then start a new life. Me my self have all my books, not easy to get rid of, but too expensive to move around. So, why, do I asked my self, do I really need all that old books around me, that I already have read pleanty of times.
Some would answer, Yes, some, No, others might say, maybe... a few of them...
Apr 2, 2007 09:16
  • VALMINX
This has been a major worry of mine too. We have now got a relative renting our house off us so we are going to pack all our personal belongings up and store them in our attic. As you said though ilooked at all our books and thought 'do we really need them?' but cant bear to get rid either lol x
Apr 2, 2007 17:06
  • APAULT
Valminx: You appear to be young and you have free space, so I suggest you keep your possessions. English language books, other than the old classics, are hard to come by in Shijiazhuang, so you might take some with you.
Apr 3, 2007 23:02
  • COLAIDO
im really curious what is so precious,lol~dont need to tell me~
just curious
Apr 17, 2007 05:31
  • LAO3HAN4RICK
I was struck by your post, as I am approaching, if not already, in my senior years. As I age, the question of leaving personal possessions behind is a tough one. This is especially true if you feel there is nobody special to leave them to. My needs have become less materialistic. Perhaps age somehow loosens the grip on those things that we thought were important. Perhaps they are just things.

As I grow older, I contemplate a much simpler life. Things become a good conversation with a new or old friend or passing on your knowledge of language to one would learn a new one. If I am allowed to live a few more years, I too will perhaps follow your steps. Good luck.

老汉 理查 (old man Richard)
Post a Reply to: Your valuables back home...
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code