Menu
tips for laptop safety?
Mar 20, 2007 16:09
  • VELIVOLUS
I have a question for anybody who travels with a laptop. I have noticed that most hotels and hostels seem to be equipped with internet access in the rooms, so it seems it is expected that guests will bring computers.

I am planning on staying at a budget hotel while in Shanghai, most probably one of the JinJiang Inns, and am planning to bring my laptop along.

What do other travelers do with their laptops while they are out for the day? Is it generally safe to leave it in one's hotel room, or are there other recommendations?

Thanks.
Mar 20, 2007 21:30
  • GRIZ326
I do not carry a full-sized laptop when traveling on personal business. Instead I carry a full function computer small enough to carry in my bag.

In the 5 star hotels in which I stayed I had no concerns of theft. My rooms were equipped with in-room safes.

I left my baggage, including electronics, for several days in the care of a budget hotel. Nothing was stolen and there was no evidence that my baggage had been looked through.

Of course, your mileage may vary. ...an American advertising expression that means you may not be so fortunate.

My company provides us with with motion alarms to lock our computers to immovable objects. You might consider buying one of those devices. They set off a hideously loud alarm when an unauthorized person moves them.

If you are most concerned about the security of your data, I recommend using PGP encryption. You can download it here: http://www.pgpi.org/ Even the internationally distributed versions are uncrackable by commonly available decryption tools.
Mar 20, 2007 23:06
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
I agree with Griz, and I'd add make sure you have excellent antivirus and antispyware software and keep it updated regularly.
Mar 21, 2007 04:17
  • MAY001
Go to the front desk and ask them to keep your laptop in a safe.
Mar 21, 2007 05:39
  • LIONPOWER
Not only 5 stars, up to 3 stars it is safe & secured. Other may problem.
Then May is OK-- Go to the front desk and ask them to keep your laptop in a safe.
Jun 13, 2007 15:10
  • HELLOTHEERE
Hello,

I am not sure if it fits in this category, but I would like to make you aware of a (non-commercial) service I am offering, that lets you log into various web-based email sites (hotmail, yahoo mail, google mail, and others) using one-time codes instead of your normal password.
The idea is to protect your password against theft by spyware/keyloggers while on the move. It is, of course, better to use your own laptop - but not everyone is willing to carry a laptop everywhere.

The service is meant for people who are on the move and need to use internet cafes and the like. The address is http://kyps.net

Thanks for your attention,
Andreas
Jun 13, 2007 20:12
  • MAY001
I can't open the address you mentioned.
Jun 13, 2007 23:05
  • IAMCANADIAN
*(%&*&@^#^@# why dont my post show
Jun 13, 2007 23:05
  • IAMCANADIAN
well now it ^$@^%@ does
Jun 13, 2007 23:06
  • IAMCANADIAN
dont leave your laptop pluged in when it rains
Post a Reply to: tips for laptop safety?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code