Menu
China for a second time
Mar 20, 2007 21:24
  • ISYO
Hi Guys,

I grew up in HK and speak Mandarin and I travelled in China for three months a few years ago. I went to Beijing, Xian, Chongqing, Shanghai, Nanjing, Yangshuo, Guilin and Guangzhou.

I'm going to be back in the motherland for two weeks in May/June (YAY!)and I am looking for some ideas on where to go.

I was thinking about heading to the south/west and visiting Chengdu, Dali, and heading overland to Shanghai for my flight home. Are there "unmissables" in that area? Or can anyone suggest anything better?

Also, for are there any major airlines that run domestic flights in China? I'm really reluctant to hop on any of the smaller Chinese-run carriers...

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help!!

Isy

Mar 20, 2007 21:51
  • GRIZ326
It might be helpful if you shared your interests. China is vast with many wonderous sites...waterfalls, caves, mountains, historic sites and ethnic peoples.

If you give the members more of a hint on your interests, I am certain you will receive many good recommendations.
Mar 20, 2007 23:20
  • ISYO
Hiya

I'm really very easy going. When i travelled in China before, I really just immersed myself in the culture/food/sights.

Like i said, i kinda have my eye on the south-west at the moment. I'm interested in seeing the highlights of the region, whether natural beauties or museums or galleries. While i am interested in the ethnic minorities of the south west and their culture, I'm not sure you can go out looking for that sort of experience. I might just run into it on the way.

I'm really looking to get off the beaten track. Sitting in a cafe watching DVDs and eating Pizza and french toast like everyone does in Yanagshuo is definitely not my cup of tea.

Hope that helps and thanks for any advice you can offer! :-)

Cheers,
Isy

Mar 21, 2007 04:00
  • MAY001
I recommend Gansu, Qinghai and Xinjiang.
Mar 21, 2007 04:52
  • JABAROOTOO
Or Guangxi, Guizhou, Yunnan. Read up on them here. There is enough good information from reviews and photos submitted by member and you have distinct advantage of both looking Chinese and being able to speak Mandarin so getting off the beaten track should be easy. Just head out of any of the major cities or touristy spots and you'll trip over your ethnic experiences all day long.

Have a good trip.

My tips, Lijiang and Tiger leaping gorge or the Nujiang river in Yunnan. Or travel south or north from Kaili in Guizhou.
Mar 21, 2007 05:23
  • LIONPOWER
Xingjian. I guess not ok for ISABELLE
May consider this province after several visits of other places in China.
Mar 24, 2007 09:31
  • ISYO
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips!

Happy travels...
Isabelle
Mar 24, 2007 10:36
  • LIONPOWER
Thanks
Mar 24, 2007 12:29
  • APAULT
For airline info, go to the icon of an aeroplane at the top of this page. Incidentally, I don't think you need be concerned about any of the Chinese carriers.
Post a Reply to: China for a second time
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code