Menu
Beckham plays down his revolutionary role
Mar 20, 2007 22:18
  • HELPSLAYER

David Beckham insists he is not expecting his arrival at Los Angeles Galaxy to spark a revolution in American soccer.

The former England captain is moving to the USA from Real Madrid at the end of the season after agreeing a five-year, £250million deal.

Both the club and Major League Soccer are contributing to the package and league organisers hope the arrival of a player with such superstar status will provide a huge boost to the game in the States.

Beckham himself claims he is not harbouring any illusions about the football in America.

He said: 'I'm not silly enough to think that soccer is going to be as big as baseball, American football or basketball.

'But if I can help in some way bringing the kids through in the US then I will have achieved what I want to have achieved.'

Beckham also insisted the move will not be an easy option in the twilight of his playing career.

He added: 'I don't think it's going to be that easy - the standards over there are high.

'Just because there's not much coverage of the MLS in Europe I don't think the standards are as low as some people have been saying.

'I know physically I've got to be right and that's another reason why I wanted to do this challenge at the age I am now.

'If I had gone over there in two, three or four years' time people would have said more what some are saying now - that it's all about the money.

'It's not, it's a fresh challenge and something I'm excited to be doing with my family.

'The American side interested me a lot and after spending some time over there I felt it was the right place for me to go and make a difference in some sort of way.'
Post a Reply to: Beckham plays down his revolutionary role
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code