Menu
backpackers
Mar 25, 2007 03:05
  • EVENING
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your advice! Really good idea!!
I will start my trip this May!!
^ .&
Mar 25, 2007 05:03
  • LIONPOWER
Bravo!
Mar 25, 2007 14:11
  • APAULT
Great Evening :) Keep up to date on where you plan to travel. we look forward to hearing more.

You can be sure of plenty of advice in here.... but we will probably contradict each other!!
Mar 26, 2007 04:26
  • LEMONCACTUS
This is a great thread, and, Evening, I'm so glad that it has inspired you to travel and explore. I believe no-one can travel and not come away richer and brighter from it.

Jabarootoo, I have encoutered the same situation as you have described many times here in China. With many people telling me places simply aren't worth visiting, when in fact they are steeped with what is essentially "China" to me, the reality of its people, history and environment. However, I think I once had the same complacency about my own country, feeling that it was pretty dull and had nothing to offer me - after all I'd lived there all my life.

One thing that being away for a few years teaches you is that "home" is also wonderful. I appreciate the UK much more now, and see beauty where I never saw it before. I really was blind to it. Now I love it, and love exploring it, with new eyes, every time I go back :)
Mar 30, 2007 01:39
  • JANFRISK
EVENING, ever heard of Wei Hui?
Mar 31, 2007 01:49
  • EVENING
Janfrisk, sorry i have never heard of him!
Can you please tell me some stories about him?
Mar 31, 2007 22:22
  • AUNTIEAGLE
recallin my 1st backpackin 2 china: all started wif watchin TV of the silk route wif kitaro addin 2 e mystery, i just packed 3 chngs of clothes,a mug,throw in a lonely planet dat was still in its packagin, S$3000 n took e plane 2 beijing....n e adventure began :)
3mths groppin & buyin my way tru e harsh deserts from beijing 2 kashgar,crossed pakistan border wif no pass,turpan 2 xian, marvel @ e thousand budha caves, terracota warriors,freezed at tianshan......many times cryin 4 hm,but e mystery of the next mountain kept me goin....even took a bus ride 2 tibet tru the treacherous mountains(another bus fell off e cliff infront of e 1 i was travellin in)visited e potala breathless! met many ppl on e way, learned many survival lessons, ate endless shish kerbabs :)yumyum ate tru countless watermelons & grapes....finally ended trip in hongkong wif instant noodles only.........
motorhoming started in 1986, backpackin in 1992 & motorbiking 5yrs later & i never looked back since :)

Lao Tse said : The journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step
sum1 else said : The world is a book and those who don't travel, read only a page

I say : Every traveller has a fear 4 e unknown but e yearn 4 e 4bidden fruit drives 1 on
A good traveller travels wif a good open heart n lots of common sense :)

smile & b happy :)
auntieagle in shenyang

Apr 1, 2007 23:39
  • GRIZ326
Courage or insanity?

Traveling in foreign lands is very exciting. In my comparatively limited experience, most people are decent. The peril presents itself when you encounter the indecent people. Not knowing the language or the ways, you are at tremendous risk and must escape before terrible things happen.

For the most part, the apparent wealth of the male travelers is all that jeopardizes them. For women, apparent wealth and sexual exploitation put them at risk. ...but again...it is a risk from the indecent.

There is an instinct developed by experienced travelers that helps them avoid the indecent people. Unfortunately, that instinct can also prevent you from experiencing some great - but unfamiliar and suspicious - local experiences.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: backpackers
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code