Menu
What kind of jobs do you have in China?
Mar 21, 2007 22:33
  • EVENING
Hi there,
As a westerner, what kind of jobs can you usually get in China? Most of my western friends are teachers. I wonder if there are any other jobs you expats are interested. Would you mind telling me? Just curious......
Thanks!!
: )
Mar 22, 2007 03:34
  • JABAROOTOO
There are foreigners working in almost every field of work imaginable. From TV and print journalism, finance,banking and business consutling, Enginerring, design and marketing, Education consutling and of course tourism and hospitality of course.
Mar 23, 2007 05:27
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
And don't forget the diplomats in Beijing and other cities with diplomatic missions. Also quite a few people freelance (as teachers, translators, journalists or similar professions) and others are self-employed, owning and running bars, cafes, restaurants and other small businesses.
Mar 25, 2007 03:07
  • EVENING
Yes, I understand!
Foreigners can do nearly all what Chinese citizens can do!!
Thanks for all your replies!
Mar 25, 2007 04:38
  • LIONPOWER
And what about the people , not yet reply?
Mar 30, 2007 01:36
  • JANFRISK
This is kind of interesting!
Why are the long nose expats in China?
To enyoy the too-much-paid-work? Buying-girls-by-the-hour?
Something's really weird here, there, or, is it me just stupid?

We'll wait n see...
Mar 30, 2007 04:14
  • MAY001
The companies/factories etc. of 'long nose expats' also could hand in less tax in the past!! But now, the policy changed...
Mar 30, 2007 04:18
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
Janfrisk, your questions are rude and offensive.
Mar 30, 2007 18:35
  • APAULT
Chris, maybe Jan didn't phrase it well? Someone before raiesd the same question. I guess all expats come for personal benefit or we wouldn't come. Sure, some come for motives I might disapprove of, or that you might.... but first we need people to tell us. Others can then judge. There was one contributor who seems to have dropped out in the last few months who seemed to object to all of us... ok it's his right, but he was using quite incorrect information.

May, expats as individuals still pay less tax than locals. You pay tax on income over 1700rmb a month I think, expats only pay on earnings over 4,000 rmb. Also they get tax free components - especially those who just come as a short term posting as part of their career progression.
Mar 30, 2007 23:37
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
Apault, I was in a bad mood and may well have overreacted. However, looking back I still find the questions rude and offensive. I won't deny that those bad expats exist, I've met a few too many of them, unfortunately, but the majority of us do not fit the category Janfrisk's questions imply. If he wishes to come back and find out why we really come here, I'll be happy to supply some answers, as I'm sure everybody else will, but I would appreciate a little common decency first. But like I said, I may well have overreacted.

I believe May was referring to the company tax or corporate income tax, and not personal income tax, so in that respect you're both right. Also, all individuals, foreign or Chinese, earning 120,000 RMB per year or more must now file a personal income tax return. Doesn't affect me, but it may be worth remembering. I believe the deadline to file a return for last year's income has already passed.
Apr 2, 2007 17:17
  • APAULT
ChrisW...Fair comment! sorry I missed yr reply before.
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What kind of jobs do you have in China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code