Menu
Dishes with organ meats?
Mar 23, 2007 18:37
  • GRIZ326
I ate many unusual foods on my trips to China, but I do not recall ever eating liver or hearts in Chinese dishes.

I enjoy vension, chicken, turkey and beef liver and heart. The turkey organs are used to make what we call gibblets for the gravy at Thanksgiving dinner.

Are there Chinese dishes with organ meats?

Mar 23, 2007 19:55
  • APAULT
Yes there are. In Hebei I noticed that lungs and solidified blood are very popular and ate a little of each. Intestines seem to appear on the menu in many places. In a small coastal town, near Huanghua in Hebei (not far south of Tianjin) Tianjin, we were served what was described as a local speciality - sheep intestine stew - all you can eat for 3rmb! Definitely working man's food.

One of my favourite meats is heart, lamb, pork, or beef, but friends had to specially ask to get it so I guess it is not in big demand, but the heart dish wasn't anything special either.

Like you Griz, I don't remember ever seeing liver either in a restauarnt or supermarket.
Mar 23, 2007 22:55
  • CHYNAGYRL
a friend of me told me about a pig intestine stew dinner he went to, and he said it smelled *really* bad if i were you i would avoid eating intestines in China because they don't always clean them well (and you know what's been inside there!). Tripe seems a common dish, and I think organ meats are common in southeast China. Although Taiwan is not China officially, but in Taiwan, they do serve a lot of organ meats as street foods. Yum.
Apr 13, 2007 02:51
  • DREAMCATCHER
Animal organs & intestines dishes are not very popular these days. Most young people avoid eating them due probably to the "yuck" factor. It is a good thing to avoid eating too much of these items as they contain high levels of uric acid. This can cause gout, arthritis or similar joint problems.
Post a Reply to: Dishes with organ meats?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code