Menu
Tour group or not???
Mar 26, 2007 07:20
  • BRADDAWSON
My wife and I are looking to spend a few weeks looking at China in November/December.
We want to experience the local culture, but are a bit nervous of going alone and thus were contemplating a tour group. However, I do not want to be following the leader with the umbrella held high down the great wall, and staying in western hotels eating fish and chips. Thus I was thinking of a small tour group, or should we just book a best western hotel for 2 nights and hope for the best.
PS. we speak no chinese!
Mar 26, 2007 12:21
  • LIONPOWER
Please look at TCG small group tour
Mar 26, 2007 15:44
  • APAULT
You said it LP :)
Mar 26, 2007 22:02
  • CHRISTINE
  • Community Moderator
Yes, BRADDAWSON, you can check our small group, private tour group and city package.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/tour/default.htm
Mar 27, 2007 05:53
  • BRADDAWSON
So from this I presume you are saying going without a tour group is not advisable?
I have travelled extensively throughout Africa, Europe, US and Aust (but never Asia) solo and with friends but only once on a tour group for a week.
Is China that different that a tour group is the best way to travel?

Cheers
Mar 27, 2007 15:27
  • APAULT
I don't think that is what we were saying! You implied you'd like to be in a tour but don't fancy big groups (and I agree with you completely). So, we have recommended a SMALL group, and that is something that TCG can provide. What they offer might or might not suit you, but we are suggesting you check it out.

As you say you are a bit nervous about going alone, then a small group is a good idea. Like you I had a lot of travel experience before going to China to teach. When it came to the first one week holiday I didn't feel I wanted to travel alone, if anything my experiences had made me more insecure than when I first arrived.

I have suggested in other threads, that independent travel in China can be quite hard at times. If you decide to travel independently, be well prepared, allow more time than you might think you need, and the more money you have the easier it is Travelling cheaply I spend a lot of time looking for hotels, finding and booking travel, and locating the places of interest - and probably miss quite a few.

I would say, if you have the cash, if you don't have loads of time, yes, take a tour first time in China.
Mar 28, 2007 04:18
  • BRADDAWSON
Thanks Apault, looks like its a tour group for us. If its that different, I even more excited now!!

Thanks for your help.

Brad.
Apr 4, 2007 12:15
  • JABAROOTOO
Another suggestion for you.
Take a 10 day package with a small group and give yourselves the last four days or so to fly solo. You will have a little experience from the tour, picked up a few bits and pieces of useful language. Book yourselves into a youth hostel or similar which you can do online. They often offer very small personal style tours as well which are more intune with independant style travel.

Example being a one day cycling/walking tour of the Great Wall where my friend and I joined two other travelers, moved at our own pace and there was virtually noone else on our section of the wall that afternoon. A very special day for me as I'd seen the wall in a few other places besides but this was by far the best.

Post a Reply to: Tour group or not???
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code