Menu
Why are some universities in China on the verge of bankruptcy?
Mar 26, 2007 20:19
  • KEVIN0518
Recently, i have herad a piece of news said that Jiling University owns a lot of money to the bank and ask for help from the teachers and students on campus to solve this problem. Jiling University is an example and some other universities have the same problem.
From 1999. with the support of the banks, many university start to build new campus or improve the infrastructure facilities aiming at being the best university in China. Now it is time for them to pay off their debts.However, they are not incapable of paying their debts. How will they pay off their debts? Who will be blamed for, the president of the university, the banks or the relative department?
Mar 26, 2007 20:48
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
I suspect the government will step in and make some arrangements. Too many universities are in similar predicaments. University presidents had better tread carefully, though, already a few have found themselves in trouble for financial shenanigans.
Mar 27, 2007 03:40
  • MAY001
Yes, financial problems and corruption might be the main reason.
Mar 27, 2007 17:23
  • APAULT
It is a bit hard to expect strong financial management from administrators who have little experience in the free market environment, in a country where there is little collective expereince in this area. The college I was at.... hmm, terrible old fashioned management, with little idea of managing a business or an educational institution.

Maybe they should hire a few experienced foreign managers as well as foreign teachers.
Mar 27, 2007 22:14
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
True, but it's not too hard to expect administrators to not embezzle money. I long since gave up expecting miracles, but a little more honesty might help the situation.
Mar 28, 2007 02:08
  • SERENA07
The predicament is to a great extent due to the peacockery of many universities in China. These universities borrowed money to build new campus or to improve their infrastructure facilities blindly so as to bring themselves in such large debts.

There's no way proper enough to solve the problem without damages, so let the universities on the verge to be bankrupt.

Otherwise the universities will ask more from the students. In that sense, things may become even worse - high tuition fees, resisting feelings...

Maybe bankruptcy is a way...
Mar 28, 2007 04:40
  • MENG
Hi Serena, partly I support you!
Currently, the way of lots of univerdity to escape their predicament is to admit more and more students year by year. In order to arrange them freshman properly, the univerties have to build more dormitories and classroom buildings for the new ones. Isn't it a vicious circle of more students and more debts. On the other hand, the quality of teaching of these universities is worse and worse with more and more students but the same number of teachers, isn't it?
Post a Reply to: Why are some universities in China on the verge of bankruptcy?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code