Menu
Treating or go dutch?
Oct 2, 2010 15:39
  • TSM420
hmm interesting,
yet not so true to the least
i am an american i had been living here in china for 4 year's i too , am an english teacher i never consider myself as a guest unless i am invited by others i do not readily know and or i come to their homes. how ever? go dutch! <--- what on earth would you think that way?
in boston most friends often split the bill if one person is down on his luck . he/she would insist on paying abit more towards the waiters/waitresses tip.
for hosting a party ,because boston has traditional traits too,we often sincerely fit the whole bill.
I still hear chinese people esp. from the country side think all americans have guns and all foreigners go dutch, hmm i never really heard go dutch that often until i came to china.i believe thats a european thing or something .
Oct 2, 2010 15:55
  • APAULT
TSM420: I am concerned about you being an English teacher :(

To Chinese reading this post, I urge you not to use this as an example of how to write English.
Oct 3, 2010 08:17
GUEST28209 "TSM420: I am concerned about you being an English teacher :(

To Chinese reading this post, I urge you not to use this as an example of how to write English."

This has got to be about the 10th comment/complaint I have read from you about the bad "english writing skills"' of someone who claims to be an "english teacher" in China.
Exactly what is your background in education anyway that allows you to be so critical of others? (and a 6 week TEFL certificate doesn't cut it) How does an "old relic" like you keep a job teaching in China anyway? As most schools now won't hire anyone over the age of 55. How old are you anyway? You gotta be pushing what..70?
Oct 4, 2010 20:45
GUEST15319 Relax guys, this is not the place for mutual insults.
Oct 19, 2010 02:24
  • BIRDROCKSTER
Its a great question! Im from the US, and usually if its just something casual, people will go Dutch. If its someone you haven't seen in a long time, a family dinner, or a large gathering of friends to celebrate something, usually one person (usually the one to organize the dinner or one of the heads of the family) will insist on paying for everyone. After coming here, I really like the idea of one person paying, it feels great to cover for all of your friends or it can also relieve stress when money is tight.
Nov 8, 2010 20:08
  • ELAIN
Chinese people always want to pay first . On one hand it's a tradition last for a very long time , on the other hand people want to be very friendly .It's about different cultures .
The western culture prefer the dutch.It's not easy to change the culture or tradition.
With the passing of time , our cultures are getting together , we are not a stranger to the different culture and we will get familiar with it .
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Treating or go dutch?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code