Menu
CCTV 9?
Mar 31, 2007 01:14
  • EVENING
Hi there,

Are you familiar with CCTV9 (China Central Television Internation)? This is comprehensive televison channel providing Chinese news, cultures, tourist resorts and chinese learining programmes in English.

I personally think it is useful for you expats who want to learn more about China! How do you like it? :=)

Its website is
http://english.cctv.com/index.shtml
Mar 31, 2007 03:41
  • APAULT
Overall, I like CCTV9 because it has reasonable programs and it is the only English language TV available to me. The News and Biznews is very important so that I know what the government is saying, what is happening in Chinese international relations and and know some key issues that are being discussed. I am able to use these topics in the classroom. BUT I have problems undrstanding some of the North American presenters - those who speak too fast (even for a native ENGLISH speaker) and with strong regional accents.

Anyone know why is it not available in Guangdong and maybe other southern areas ? The English language service was from Hong Kong with a few items of CCTV9.
Mar 31, 2007 03:44
  • MAY001
I like CCTV 9 but it I can't receive the signal now.
Apr 2, 2007 01:53
  • FAERIEQUEENE
i'm not very into TV but it seems we dont have CCTV9 here in Hong Kong. I like the recurrent programmes of learning chinese with Daniel and the travelling around in CHina very much though, in other cctv channel
Apr 2, 2007 04:49
  • MAFIE
I reckon its pretty boring. It seems to repeat the same stuff over and over. The adverts are annoying too, I thinks there's maybe ten different ones altogether. The news is somewhat strange, there never seems to be any problems in China, everything's always going well.
The travel stuff's alright though, apart from the presenters. "Dialogue" can be interesting My tip: don't watch telly. Get out and play
Apr 2, 2007 17:15
  • APAULT
Yes Mafie, Channel 9 can be a bit repetitive. The programs are reated within the day, and travel and China clture is repeated about every 3 months, but there is a big turnover of foreigners so I guess CCTV needn't incur more costs.

Sure there don't appear to be problems in China, but I think the Chinese language stations are the same.

Dialogue can be excellent or boring! But it does raise issues that I don't believe are raised elsewhere on TV. Could any other station say (in a discussion on communist neighbours Vietnam and DPRK or N Korea) "The only thing communist in China now is the name of the Chinese Communist Party." I doubt it!

I would much prefer to get out and play, but when you are 20km out of town and there is no bus after 6pm and the temperature is -10C, there aren't too many options (you can only run a certain number of English Corners!)
May 10, 2007 01:15
  • JCNILE123
To make a point about Mr apault statements. Perhaps Mr apault don't know that CCTV 9 it is a channel that broadcast all over around the world for everybody that speaks english with a plain and clear twenty first century english with out the non sense detail of the old school victorian sofffffffffffffffttttttnest.

I see CCTV 9 as one of the most interesting achivements in the broadcasting bussines all around the world, think about it, you can see this channel any where in the world you go, ( of coure , if there is power ). Better off with out the agenda that CNN offers, CCTV 9 offers the news as the news are.

CNN offers CNNs point of view, is there any other english channel that you can see any place you go in the world ??? CCTV 9,,, it is a channel that it is supposed to broadcast to the rest of the world mainly.
May 10, 2007 10:02
  • APAULT
I agree with JCNile that it is intended for world distribution. But it is also a chinese national station. I have students who understand good modern English but who havent a hop[e in hell or\f understanding many of the extreme USA regional accents. They dont employ extreme regional UK accents, so why employ Americans like Shaun the weatherman.. I am from London and Australia but I can only understand half of what he says. Rita has improved...at frist she might as well have been speaking Finnish, she was incomprehensible.
May 11, 2007 13:39
  • JCNILE123
Sr, i don't think you know much about America, You say extreme US regional accents ? at CCTV9? not at all!!! not at all.....
Far as i concern, as a personal choice and as a US person, i wish you to be right, but not , you are far from it,,,
The english spoken at CCTV 9 it is a very international mixture with an strong input of non US speakers, and that it is what makes CCTV 9 so unique, we must learn as citizens of the world to tune fine our ears to the speakers in turn. and to your students i say that they need to measure the level of knowledge they have of the english language not base on a desire to have only a Australian or an American talking to them, but an english speaking person in general, after all we don't know what country will they travel to in the future representing their home land China. In America we can understand most everybody from the south, or the north, east coast, west coast, from UK, or Phillipines, Australia, or Africa, So from China,, we just pay a litlle more attention to the subject, and at the end we learn to live better with the surroundings, and so it turns in to a personal achivement to be able to understand most everybody.

thank-you
May 11, 2007 22:31
  • JCNILE123
Miss Evening, yes you sure are right!!! about it..
CCTV 9 serves to educate us about a beautiful country name China and it's people..
i was born in Costa RIca but i have live most of my life in US and there in Costa Rica as children we used to see Chinese people like some very foreing individuals and so we used to have very litlle interest on them as people.
My old aunt just visited us here in US from Costa Rica. and one thing she said that surprissed mi with, was her thinking that in China people live in the water because there are no space on the ground,,so my point is that CCTV 9 and CCTV E&F come to our homes and show us how a beautiful country it is China and it's people...and how wrong we in the west are about a nice country name China.
and yes the people at the spanish and french CCTV E&F have a very strong accent chinese accent that is, but we enjoy a very clean and family oriented programing, to be honest to you, we don't get that in the west from the sex and political right or left agenda tv. on the other hand we do have a very few good documental channels, like discovery , and so on,,, my point is that CCTV and CCTV E&F are very good as they are but more important it is the fact that we in the west are learning litlle by little to understand a very misundestood country and it's people, that is China, thanks in part to the laborius effort of the Chinese Gov it's people, CCTV 9 and CCTV E&F,, E&F stands for spanish & french.
I visited China last year i spend a full month in China,, so i learn a little bit about China in a personal way.
May 12, 2007 02:39
  • APAULT
Mr JC.. I agree with you about the general quality of CCTV9, but if I as a first language speaker of English cannot understand some of the accents, generally Amercan, there must be a problem. I want my students and other Chinese to be able to understand, but they cannot..so they don't listen at all. That is not good.

Neither can I and my students understand many US movies, but give them a British movie and they have much less trouble. I agree thisis not entirely the accents but the movie making style.
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: CCTV 9?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code