Menu
Research on the salary of KFC and Mcdonald's in China!
Apr 2, 2007 03:48
  • MENG
Today, it is reported that some KFC and Mcdonald's in more than 10 cities of China pay a lower salary to their employees than the local legal
minimal standard. Related department said that KFC and Mcdonald's has been suspected of employing worker illegally. Li Shouzhen, the official of All-China Federation of Trade Unions, claimed on 30th March that they would carry out a series of polices to champion the rights and interests of these employees.

Here is some concrete data:
Taiyu of Shanxi Province:
local minimal standard: 6.5RMB per hour
KFC: 4.5 RMB per hour
Mcdonald's: 6 RMB per hour

Zhengzhou of Henan Province:
local minimal standard: 7RMB per hour
KFC: 4.3RMB per hour
Mcdonald's: 3.9RMB per hour

Fuzhou of Fujian Province:
local minimal standard: 5.5RMB per hour
KFC: 3.6RMB per hour
Mcdonald's: 4.1RMB per hour
Apr 2, 2007 04:11
  • ELLEN77
That seems a bit smaller. How do you know the 'local legal
minimal standard'?
Apr 2, 2007 04:22
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
We have to remember that KFC and McDonald's restaurants are usually franchises, so it's probably not these two companies themselves who are abusing their workers, but the local franchisees. However, that certainly doesn't excuse them, as the companies should have policies on the fair treatment of workers written into the contracts they sign with their franchisees. But they've always had a bad reputation for abusing their workers, like Walmart.

It's also interesting to note that it's the foreign companies getting picked on here.....
Apr 2, 2007 11:10
  • SANYACHINA
For the foreign companies Chinese are one of the cheapest workers in the World. So don't be surprice that they are paying not much. By the way - if there are so many young people who would like to work just for ~4 RMB per hour, of course the Western company will not enlarge their salary.
Apr 2, 2007 17:39
  • APAULT
I certainly don't defend those companies (who should be forcing their franchisees to comply with the laws), but they are not the only ones. Many companies are in breach of employment regulations - I have heard many stories from my ex-students and seen some reported in the newspaper.
Apr 2, 2007 20:04
  • MENG
Hi, it is right for these foreign companies to enjoy some privileges in China; however, all of them should follow The Labour Law of the People`s Republic of China, right? According to the law, the salary of these employee should not less than the local legal minimal standard. Obviously, they have violated the law.

Yes, China has a large ppopulation, but this could not be the reason for Chinese employees to earn lower salary, isn't it?
Apr 2, 2007 20:06
  • MENG
Hi Ellen,

I have read this new on internet which also included these data. Maybe you can find them, too.

kinds
Apr 2, 2007 23:08
As far as I know, too many companies don't follow strictly the Labour Law of China, neither do Chinese companies. I wonder how much a waitress in a small Chinese restaurant can earn one hour. I know some people can earn only two yuan/hour. It's the situation in China.

What should labors do? Accept the job or refuse and earn 0? Or any better advice?
Apr 2, 2007 23:41
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
Labour does need to stand up and demand fair and equal treatment- not just in China, but everywhere. However, this is not always possible or wise. It's a very difficult situation and I have no answers.

It's interesting to note, though, that the Pearl River Delta is starting to have trouble recruiting labourers. Apparently farmers are getting sick of the low wages and crap treatment they are subjected to down there and are voting with their feet.
Mar 2, 2008 12:12
GUEST17040 I work at kfc in canada I have lived here all my life and we are getting foreign workers
at our stores and they are making more then me and I have been there for more then
two years and they are making about two dollars an hour then me so I dont feel sorry for them if they are getting screwed over in there country because the are making me feel like im getting screwed over
May 24, 2010 04:34
GUEST47243 Part of chinese culture is the "boss personality". Every culture has a "boss personality". And a big component of culture is the various personality roles that arise within that culture.

Anyway, its hard to imagine a chinese boss who is not greedy enough, and thus, the cyclic nature of people assuming personality roles within groups, people who have personalities similar to a boss's personality naturally take on that role within their system and when they grow up become a boss.

By the way, the only way the vast majority of rural china will ever see an increase in salary is if the country develope forward smoothly.

The people in china probably knows this, because they take care of it, this is how they keep on develoment.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Research on the salary of KFC and Mcdonald's in China!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code