Menu
fee for renewing visa?
Apr 5, 2007 18:28
  • VELIVOLUS
Does anybody happen to know what the fee is for renewing your visa once you are in China? I will be staying longer than 60 days, but was told that since it is my first visit I would only be granted a 60 day visa by the Consulate, and would need to renew it after I am there. Thanks in advance for your replies!
Apr 5, 2007 18:31
  • APAULT
As noted in other threads, the cost depends on your nationality... most for US. It is the about same price in China as you paid outside. Apply for 90 days, you might get it, or if you are near a border, especially HK, apply for a dual entry of 60 + 60 and pop out to Hk for a day.
Apr 5, 2007 21:49
  • VELIVOLUS
I am American, and coming from the US, so I guess that means I'll have to pay the highest fee. Great!
Do you happen to have a link to a site that lists fees? I haven't been able to find one.
I read everywhere on the web that a China visa was good for 3 months, and I will be there for 2 1/2 months. But the visa service I used told me because it is my first trip to china, they will only give me a 2 month visa and I will have to renew.
Oh well.
Apr 6, 2007 10:32
  • JABAROOTOO
Why are you using a visa service. Send your application (download forms from the Chinese Embassy in the US) and send directly to the embassy. It may be different for US citizens but a 90 day visa is the norm for most of us.
All the imformation you need is on the Website for the Chinese Embassy in your country or origin.

www.china-embassy.org this is the website

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84246.htm Visa information page Cost of single entry visa is US$50
Apr 6, 2007 10:38
  • JABAROOTOO
I lifted this information from the site so we are all clear about this. You will get a 90 visa which enables you to enter the country within 90 days of the date of issue. That visa is only valid for 30 days. You must register with the nearest PSB withine 24/48 hours of your arrival. I stayed nearly three months on my tourist visa without applying for an extension. Since you have applied for 90 days you will probably be allowed a 90 visit without requiring an extension.

Please check all the information on the website above.

<Usually the validity of a Single Entry or Double Entry "L" visa is 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue. This means the holder of the visa shall enter China no later than 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue, otherwise the visa is expired and is null and void. The duration of stay of a "L" visa is 30 days, which means the holder of the visa may stay in China for up to 30 days from the date of entry.The visa officer may extend the Duration of Stay if the applicant needs and requests a stay in China for more than 30 days.>

Apr 6, 2007 16:45
  • APAULT
Velivolus: Please tell us how you get on as we are trying to build up our knowledge on how the rule are applied in practice.
Apr 6, 2007 17:13
  • VELIVOLUS
jabarootoo,

I am using an agent to get my visa because my passport just got to me, so I need to expedite the visa process in order to get mine in a week (all US passport applications are greatly delayed now, because of some new laws).
It is the agent who told me they would probably only grant me a 60 day visa, since this is my first trip to China, and I would need to extend it.
You say that you stayed 90 days on a 30 day Visa without applying for an extension and had no problem. That sounds good: certainly a money saver. But I gather from what I've read on the web that technically you can be fined for each day you overstay your visa limit. I don't know how rigidly this is enforced, but seems like a bit of a risk?
Apr 6, 2007 17:54
  • APAULT
Velvivolus. I have also been told by an agent that the Chinese embassy does not always grant 90 days and I might be refused. I wasn't, and Jabaroo is suggetsing they have discretion and usually apply it. So apply for 90 days and be hopeful! If it fails, apply for a renewal in China, you should get it. Sorry, but that is the way China operates.

There is a fine and it is a good idea not to deliberately overstay, but you should be able to assume that the fine system means you won't be thrown into jail.
Apr 8, 2007 00:57
  • VELIVOLUS
Thank you, Apault and Jabarootoo, for your informative replies.

I am wondering about the following stipulation in the paragraph quoted above: "You must register with the nearest PSB withine 24/48 hours of your arrival."

What does this registration with the local police entail? Is it a quick or simple process where you present your passport and fill out a form with information on the address you are staying at, or more complicated?

Do the police generally have some knowledge of English, or will I have one of my first opportunities to see if I can make myself understood with my gradually increasing but still small knowledge of Mandarin?

Apr 8, 2007 13:23
  • APAULT
It is all part of your hotel registration (assuming you are going to a recognised hotel or hostel).

Apr 8, 2007 14:35
  • VELIVOLUS
I won't be at a hotel. I'm going to be staying about 2 1/2 months, so I will be renting a place short-term.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: fee for renewing visa?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code