Menu
Will A New Round Cold War Break Between US and China or Russia?
Apr 5, 2007 21:42
  • KEVIN0518
In an American newspaper, it is said that the new round cold war between US and China or Russia won't break. Nowadays, more and more foreign-policy analysts in America are focusing on this issue. China has been developing fast in recent years. Its GDP ranked the fourth in the world surpassing Italy, France and Britain in 2005. Now she has much influence in international issues. For Russia, it is still one of the strong nations in the world. China and Russia are the two main challengers to US in the world. Although they cooperate with each other in some cases, the competition is still fierce among them.
How do you view about this issue? In your opinion, the new round cold war will break or not?
Apr 5, 2007 23:16
  • STOCKTOV
All the way back in June 2005 an American monthly news magazine called The Atlantic published an article by Robert D. Kaplan entitled "How We Would Fight China". The "We" being Americans. In that article was the first time I heard the bull@!%& phrase "Second Cold War".

In my not-so-professional-opinion America will not go to war with China. Especially if the rumors that we are also going to war with Iran come true. To be honest, we haven't got much of a budget left for taking on the world, so I really hope we'll just put our tail between our legs and work on the much less expensive approach known as "diplomacy" which my country seems to have forgotten the meaning of.

The "Second Cold War" nonsense is just that--nonsense. It is done in an attempt to continue the fear-mongering that the current Administration has employed as its principal governing strategy for fellow citizens. Please don't freak out. It's not going to happen. America can't survive without China--and I know we haven't made out as the most intelligent of nations lately but I hope we're not so stupid as to bite the Chinese hand that feeds us.

I hope we'll learn to say thank you. Manners go further than guns.
Apr 6, 2007 00:52
  • KATRINA
I don't think there will be another New Round Cold War.
For nations, economic interest is the key.
Apr 6, 2007 01:03
  • JIMMYB
Great. Stocktov. I do agree with you. The second cold war is non-sense.
Apr 6, 2007 05:53
  • SANYACHINA
"In an American newspaper, it is said that the new round cold war between US and China or Russia won't break. Nowadays, more and more foreign-policy analysts in America are focusing on this issue."

The have to receive their salaries. Of course they have to write something. I don't mean that they are not right or they are right. I just mean that it is a result not only because of some phenomenon in the politics, it is a business too.

"China has been developing fast in recent years. Its GDP ranked the fourth in the world surpassing Italy, France and Britain in 2005."

Why 4th?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?! 2nd! After USA. If you count EU as a "country", then China will be N' 3! No way 4 ! Japan is 4.

"How do you view about this issue? In your opinion, the new round cold war will break or not?"

Depends on what you understand when you use the words "Cold war", we can say, for example, that it never stoped.
Apr 6, 2007 05:56
  • SANYACHINA
"Great. Stocktov. I do agree with you. The second cold war is non-sense."

Yes, it is. Because the First one never stopped! We are still in it.
Apr 7, 2007 05:14
  • LEOPOLD219
"Yes, it is. Because the First one never stopped! We are still in it. "
SANYACHINA, can you explain it?
Apr 7, 2007 15:13
  • SANYACHINA
Cold war is still.
Jul 1, 2007 15:17
  • FAISAL
"If the third world war begins, china will be the last to die" is this Quote is one of Mao Zedong?
Jul 19, 2007 12:39
  • KRUUTH
The "New Cold War" article was basically an op-ed piece. Since media is not state controlled in the US(as opposed to, say Iran) you get all nifty sorts of things in print. The article didn't address several important things:

1. Distance. The US and China are FAR apart.
2. Reliance. China and the US need each other.
3. Mindset. There are plenty of chinese here in USA studying. They like it here. My chinese roommates to this day think US is great. One of them is in CCP in Shanghai. I spoke to him about this article and his response was "why would we ever want to do something like that?"

The US sided with China in the Russia/China conflict. Traditionally we've been allies. There's a large and established chinese population in usa. The article makes many bad assumptions.
Jul 20, 2007 01:47
I hope we never see another world war, I like the old 60's saying " make love, not war "
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Will A New Round Cold War Break Between US and China or Russia?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code