Menu
Collection of property tax, reasonable or not?
Apr 6, 2007 02:58
  • MIRANDAZHAO
In the near future, Chinese government will impose the property tax on those who have possessed a house.
It means: even if you do not sell nor rent your house, you should also pay the tax for your possession.
Someone says it essentially add the economical burden of common consumers while favor the land agents. And the government will be the great winner.
Actually, the property tax has been carried out in many countries, such as America and Canada, but is it reasonable to carry it out in a developing country like China?
Apr 6, 2007 04:51
  • EVENING
No, I don't think it is resonable in China!
Nowadays, thousands of Chinese are making every efforts to buy an apartment. Higher and higher price of apartments keep many more guys from getting their own house!
If they have to pay tax, then better to rent an apartment directly, no bother to buy one! : D
Apr 6, 2007 05:39
  • SANYACHINA
Where form you got this information? Show some source (link) to read more about it.
Apr 6, 2007 11:07
  • LIONPOWER
Perhaps it will impose.
This tax policy follows all over the world.
Apr 6, 2007 11:34
  • WCTMAN
Property tax is an acceptable way of collecting revenue. Provided, of course, that those collecting the tax are elected and accountable.
Apr 6, 2007 18:19
  • APAULT
A property tax is popular because it is easy to raise - the collectors know where the properties are and send out bills and collect the tax. Is it fair? In one sense, yes, because all families pay it - even renters as the rent will become a little higher. Much depends on how it is done - if the rural poor pay as much as the urban business men it clearly isn't fair, and that certainly won't happen. This tax should make the businessmen pay something - it seems to me at the moment (from what I have heard) that many are not paying the income tax they are supposed to.

Are those collecting the tax elected? Yes, those of us used to our own democracies should not assume other forms of mass representation and election are inadequate. There are problems with all election systems.

Accountable: well that comes in all shapes and sizes. Are my elected representatives accountable? - Not as much as I'd like them to be!
Apr 6, 2007 20:29
  • SERENA07
In fact, property tax has been collected in China for about 20 years, however only for those profit-oriented properties such as shops, reataurants, hotels, factories, companies...

For residential houses, property tax is really a little unreasonable, at least in China. In the past, houses were allocated to people for a long time in China. Just in recent decade, people need to buy houses by themselves. It is already a burden for people, and it is not the time to collect property tax for residential houses.

I believe it will arouse an instability among people, and will be bad for forming a harmonious society.
Post a Reply to: Collection of property tax, reasonable or not?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code