Menu
Life in Nanjing (tennis, wakeboarding, soccer, anyone?)
Apr 7, 2007 14:53
  • LOOC
Hi! I've just moved into Nanjing (1st weekend here) and I stay and work around Xin Jie Kou. I'm looking to hook up with tennis mates who hopefully spend more time hitting tennis balls rather than picking them up :). If not, can anyone tell me where I can book tennis courts and how much would it cost per hour?

I also like to wakeboard and I'm just wondering if there's any place to do water sports in Nanjing?

Also looking for a group to play indoor soccer with... field soccer is fine too but I run out of breath really fast! ;)

Any tips/suggestions much appreciated. Thanks!
Apr 12, 2007 19:50
  • MAY001
I'm sure there are many tennis fans in Nanjing. You may find them in palaestra and universities. By the way, if you cannot speak Chinese, go to the university where more people can speak English might be a good choice.
Apr 13, 2007 07:01
  • LOOC
thanks for the reply may... but what exactly do u mean by palaestra? i can speak mandarin fine :)

i guess the nanjing community is too sparse in these forums
Apr 13, 2007 10:44
  • JABAROOTOO
Water Sports? Apart from swimming and 'Wet and Wild' with slides etc. you kind of have to give this a miss in the big cities. If you were in Xiamen, Shanghai perhaps or Qingdao, Hainan or other coastal areas you may just get more opportunity for sailing, sailboarding etc but as for the high speed stuff, I think you can forget it.

There is a little 'white water rafting available around the country but the "white" is a little light on but it's usually in beautiful country and refreshing at least in hot weather.

Nanjing has an indoor pool with a Beach. It's over near Zhongshan Mtn and it's called Sun Palace. See photo but It's about Y80 entry but good value for a days outing. Water sport here would be the wave pool!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a good idea about trying the university but also do a google for the Nanjing Expat site and see if you can make contact with some of the other expats there. Restaurants and in the area where you work are also good places to meet people. Give it a few weeks or even longer.

Finding a good reliable and regular tennis partner is not easy when there are few to start with and the city is so large. It's not like you can just turn up at the local courts and get a social game each week. Keep your eye open around the city for courts. Some hotels have courts on the roofs and you may be able to invite yourself into a group who plays semi-regular. We pay anything from Y20 to Y30 per hour which is pretty reasonable for flexipave and imitation grass but they can be as high as Y50 and night lights are more expensive of course.

Good luck

Apr 13, 2007 10:47
  • JABAROOTOO
PS the newer residential complexes often have a few courts and the sports centres which will be marked on a map is another likely place to begin.
Apr 16, 2007 08:23
  • LOOC
Thank you, JABAROOTOO! I will take your advice to heart.
Sep 14, 2007 01:41
GUEST17251 I am working in nanjing and an avid tennis player. If interested please call 137 0121 9107. I am 53 yrs old but still about a 4.5 level from usa. I can still play most university players and professional teachers a close match. My name is Mark. currently I play Tue and Thu and Sat and Sun but have been using a coach to assure I have a ogod player to hit balls with. But the price is high so hope to find a good player I dont have to pay.
Sep 14, 2007 08:27
  • JABAROOTOO
Gee Mark,
That's tough having to pay a coach to get a good game. It takes time to build up your network. I now have a small group I can play with but has taken a few years. Much cheaper too.
Mar 6, 2008 23:05
GUEST57173 I'm new to Nanjing as well. Have been lookin for some folks to hit the ball with now that the winter is finally dethawing. Give me an email/call if interested. ryancummings{at}mac.com or 15895996353
Apr 24, 2008 20:49
GUEST82370 www.nanjinglaowai.com

Is a foreign community in Nanjing you can try this too go to BBS and talk to members
May 15, 2008 08:02
GUEST44235 I will be in Nanjing from July...I'm 4.0..if someone want to play I'm available....Gian Mario from Italy
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Life in Nanjing (tennis, wakeboarding, soccer, anyone?)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code