Menu
Easter is coming ~
Apr 8, 2007 01:09
  • ELLEN77
I know that the Easter, which is celebrated to memorize the renaissance of Jesus, is a very important festival for the westerners. And it is often held on a Sunday between Mar.21 and Apr. 25. So do you know what's the exact date of this fetival this year? And for the westerners, what would you do on that day?
Apr 8, 2007 07:50
  • LOVECHINA2
Ellen.
Easter Sunday is April 8th this year.
Most Westerners will go to church and get together with family and have a big meal.
Apr 8, 2007 12:36
  • LIONPOWER
So Easter going
Apr 8, 2007 14:27
  • APAULT
I won't be going to church at Easter or any other time, none of my family or friends normally attend either, even for Easter or Christmas.

You have made me curious, so I have done some quick research!

In Australia a survey showed under 9% of the population attends a christian church in an average week, and the figure is declining. Figures for the USA vary from 27% to 47% (the higher figure is challenged by one critic because people answering surveys don't like to admit they didnt go last Sunday)! A survey for the UK showed just over 6% went to church on a typical weekend. Comments in the articles suggest that the same is happening in the Catholic patrts of Europe where attandance used to be very high.

Is this good or bad? I am not judging, I don't want to judge. My countries of interest (Australia, UK, and China) all provide for religious freedom. So be it.
Apr 9, 2007 00:56
  • ELLEN77
Thank you, I haven't realised it was just the day when I asking you.
It is true that everyone has the religious freedom. But does it mean that the festival is not as important as before in the people's eyes?
Apr 9, 2007 03:49
  • ROSEKNIGHT
Hi,
April 8 is my Birthday!!!
So I did have a big meal and a not so big birthday cake, as well a bowl of noodles (longevity noodles).

Yes, I believe some festivals are not so important than bafore.Fanatical disciples are rare now. Times are changing. When people were crazy about religious, because they could not expecte peace, happiness, or something like these from reality, but might get consolation from religion. At present, people have much more choice to lead their own life. They need not to linger in God's blessing or mercy.

It just my own opinion. Don't mind if it is shallow!!
Apr 9, 2007 12:05
  • LIONPOWER
Late " Happy birth day to you"
Apr 9, 2007 19:01
  • APAULT
Yes, easter is not as important as it was. I should have said before that more people attend church for Easter than normal weekends.
Apr 9, 2007 20:15
  • ELLEN77
IS the turkey still a must for the festival? I will be sad if I can't have the dish when I'm abroad.
Apr 9, 2007 21:50
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
I disagree, I would say Easter is still just as important as it always was, but the meaning and significance of the holiday are changing. But that has happened before- if you take a close look at it, you can see many of our Easter traditions actually came from pre-Christian pagan fertility festivals- and it will probably happen again.

Turkey? Remember Ellen, "The West" is not one single culture, but many related but still different cultures. I guess North Americans might have turkey at Easter, but it's not something I've ever heard of. I suggest you visit New Zealand and sample the wide variety of chocolate Easter eggs and hot cross buns. Much tastier than turkey, I'm sure.
Aug 20, 2008 19:24
  • REMAG1234
Apault, Speak for yourself, saying Easter is not as important is Hogwash. If you're an atheist or agnostic is your business but do not make statements that are not factual.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Easter is coming ~
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code