Menu
Vegetarian restaurant
Nov 17, 2004 15:21
  • HENRY
I have heard of at least one vegetarian restaurant - tianshi - so I know they exist, but is a vegetarian option usually available in a 'regular' restaurant? My son is keen to try one of the recommended duck restaurants, is there any chance of a veggie option in that sort of place? Is there a basic phrase for vegetarian or meat-free?

Thanks
Nov 18, 2004 09:12
  • 33UK
You should have no problem with vegetarianism. Usually there are plenty of Tofu, celery and noodle items available. Although I had the most difficulty eating a vegetarian diet in northern China as opposed to Central China.

The roast duck in Beijing is very good, although I prefer the Shenyang duck served with a thin wrapper rather than bread. A duck dish I found was better than the Beijing duck was shredded duck and vegetables. I'm sorry I don't know the name of the dish, maybe someone else can give it. The duck and vegetables were all chopped into even sized little strips.

China is easy on the tummy. Enjoy!!
Nov 19, 2004 11:23
  • FFEJ
Vegetarian options are available most places, but be aware that most restaurants view vegetarian as simply having 'no meat on the plate'. It's common to serve vegetables in a meat-based sauce or cook it in animal fat. If being a vegetarian is for religious or medical reasons, plan your eating very, very carefully.
In most cases if you have a preset phrase or explanation written in Chinese, for why you are a vegetarian, and hand that to the waiting staff when you go to a restaurant, they will prepare stuff off the menu. Even in places with a menu, most restaurants are happy to cook stuff off the menu if they have the ingredients. (Then THAT may be worth tipping!)
Nov 22, 2004 10:29
  • OLIVERD
the word in Chinese is "chi su" (pronounced kind of like "tchur sooh"; here "tchur" rhymes with "burr", "sooh" would be like saying "ooh" in response to a bad taste or smell, with an "s" in front of it. The two words should each be pronounced as one syllable.

Duck restaurants have vegetable dishes. Actually, I like to order the duck (it comes with the tortillas, sauce, onions, cucumbers, etc.) and then i order shreaded stri fried potato and make my own veggie wraps out of the potato, cucumber, onion, sauce and tortilla. Your son could do that if everyone else was eating duck at the table.

Good luck
Nov 23, 2004 09:57
  • DAISY
No longer Beijing's best vegetarian restaurant, Green Tianshi is still the most convenient, located just east of the city's main shopping street. Access is through a ground-floor crystal shop and up a flight of stairs lined with photos of famous vegetarians, including a skeptical-looking Paul Newman. Decor is bland but blessedly free of cigarette smoke. The large, slightly overpriced English menu eschews simple vegetables in favor of fake meat dishes. Tofu-based cashew "chicken" is a reasonably good approximation. The kitchen also offers a Beijing roast (soy) duck and, for the brashest of fake sinners, a vegetarian veal, nicely paired with non-alcoholic beer.

Hours: Daily 10am-10pm

Address: Dengshikou Dong Jie 57-5

Location: Block east of Wangfujing Dajie, Dongcheng (City Center)

Phone: 010/6524-2476 or 2349

Prices: Meal for 2 RMB130-RMB150 ($16-$19)

Credit Cards: AE, DC, MC, V

Post a Reply to: Vegetarian restaurant
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code