Menu
chinese new year - worth a visit?
Nov 18, 2004 03:50
  • SHAZ3009
I'm thinking of visiting China the February and may go for Chinese new year. I have a couple of friends who live out there. Does anyone know if it's worth going for? Are there lots of things to see, or is it rather like Christmas in the UK where everyone spends time at home with the family? It is meant to be very cold at that time of year, and I just wonder whether to see China at its best, it would be better for me to go in the summer? Thanks!
Nov 18, 2004 10:34
  • AMANDA
It should be the best chance for you to know Chinese folkway, and feel the typical traditional festival.
This is THE biggest holiday in China, and people usually get five days to ten days off from work. This is a holiday for family reunion, and people spend a lot of time at home and visit close friends exchanging gifts. As a result of this, hotels, transportation and tourist places usually have the least occupancy of the year (although trains are usually full in the days just before this holiday), while restaurants and shopping places on the other hand, usually have the largest crowd of the year.

Traditional food for the Spring Festival includes rice cakes (fairly traditional to this holiday, but readily available throughout the year though), sticky rice flour dumplings (not easily found in other season, but more traditionally eaten in a holiday 15 days later), and many others.
Nov 19, 2004 10:00
  • DAISY
During this holiday, many many people go out for a vacation, people will crowd into a lot of places, so no tourist site will miss the chance of making money.
The ticket, hotel prices will be more expensive than other days. And it is not easy to buy a train ticket during the holiday.
Temple Fair is one of the imortant traditional event during the Spring Festival.
Post a Reply to: chinese new year - worth a visit?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code