Menu
BORED
Apr 9, 2007 21:36
  • NEWBBIE
Already more than 1 week here in Yantai but find it rather bored here. Can't go fishing yet cos weather still to cold to go fishing.I am staying in an apartment just next to the sea with excellent seaview. Been to the city, went to a few supermarket and nothing more. Been to a disco on Friday night find it rather boring. Can't imagine how am I going to survive here fore 3 years.
Apr 10, 2007 05:01
  • ELLEN77
I think Yantai is an attractive place for many of us, NEWBBIE. Go out and see some famous natural and cultural scenic spots there, and you'll feel pleasant. seeing, strolling and living beside the sea is always my dream.
Apr 11, 2007 10:47
  • GRIZ326
There is an American radio call-in host named Doctor Laura, every time some one calls in to her radio show and says they are "bored" she says to them, "That is because you are boring."

I find her manner offensive, but the point well made.

If you are bored you must look for something to do. In your case, it may mean that you need to broaden your interests to find something in Yantai that you enjoy.
Apr 11, 2007 16:37
  • APAULT
It will take you some time to get into thing, take you time to get to know people. Maybe you haven't started work/study yet, but when you do you will find people very willing to help you. Invite them out to dinner, that is the number one activity, though for girls 'shopping' is a close second! You will need to slow down though, you do not have all the things you have at home, and only 1 Engl TV channel probably.

Go for walks, buy a drink from a small shop and drink it there... say hello to people. Go fishing! No, it isn't too cold! Find some ponds, if the ice is still strong enough you will see people fishing through it. Watch them, show an interest. Have you bought a bicycle yet? If you normally eat out, go and buy food and cook for yourself.

Good luck.
Apr 11, 2007 22:15
  • IVYCL
hehe,APAULT i wanna invite u out to dinner
Apr 11, 2007 23:32
  • GRIZ326
Paul's got it right!
Apr 12, 2007 00:03
  • NEWBBIE
Thank you guys for all the info given, I've actually started work on my second day here, I've been to a few supermarket here buying all my basic neccessities, I am now staying in a beautiful apartment just besides the sea with a fantastic seaview. Problem here is that I am a fishing fanatics so I'm actually hoping to find some tips on sport fishing here in Yantai but I've posted several postings regarding fishing here in Yantai but seems that I'm not getting any info on this topic at all. I'll really appreciate if there's someone who can provide me with related info. Thank you.
Apr 12, 2007 11:51
  • JABAROOTOO
'Sport fishing'! Who's got time for that in China. It's a sport for the rich and the idle but you could wangle a trip on one of thousands of fishing boats. Go hang out on the docks around them and see what happens. If you can make friends they'll take you out where you might get a little 'sport' out of your fishing.
Apr 14, 2007 06:27
  • APAULT
I think Yantai is probably not a great place for 'sport fishing'. The sea is rather polluted and heavily used by ships. The Koreans and Japanese who are not so far away come to Aus for serious sea fishing.

To my mind, all fishing is great sport. It doesnt matter whether it is fishing for 10 gm tiddlers or giant fish. It is a sport it is an art, it is being with nature (a bit harder perhaps in China), and for extra sport, I just try and catch more than the bloke next to me, or bigger.

Anyway, good luck finding something suitable

Apr 14, 2007 20:54
  • APAULT
We may have a language problem here. I checked out the meaning of 'sport fishing' on the Net. Some sites equate it to 'game fishing' or at least 'deep sea fishing', while Wikipedia is very broad and equates it to 'recreational fishing' and 'angling'.

To me it means heavy sea fishing from a boat way out to sea and is primarily a north American term. I would say Wikipedia is definitely wrong.

Newbbie, tell us what sort of fishing you enjoy.... in case you hadn't worked it out I use the old fashioned term of angler to describe myself...though the word is used in aussie english too.

Apr 16, 2007 09:10
  • NEWBBIE
Yes, you are probably right, I think it's the different terms they use. I enjoy sea fishing out on a boat. Thanks anyway cos i just managed to find a local who can help me arrange for a trip over the weekend. I'll probably post some pics, that is provided if I managed to catch anything. last weekend I visited a temple (Zhulin Shi) very disappointing, but the senery on the way to the temple wasn't too bad though. I'm begining to see lots of people fishing at the sea side next to my apartment but didn't see anyone catches anything more than four inches. I'm looking forward towards the trip, will keep you guys informed about the trip. Bye.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: BORED
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code