Menu
How Many Members Are Learning Chinese??
Sep 14, 2007 09:48
  • JABAROOTOO
I've been learning Chinese in a rather haphazard way since I arrived. First year was survival language, things like 'how much' and 'where is'
Second year I look lessons but my lovely young tutor was also a good friend by then so we would laugh and chat in English half of the time. I also studied a little at home.
Third year I focused on writing since I could already recognize a decent number of characters even if I could not yet write them.
Fourth year I was a little busy but spent a lot of time just chatting in the street, and with friends and waitstaff who spoke less English than I did Chinese. Great way to go. I also now have the Pleco dictionary which allows me or anyone else to write character or pinyin and find the English translation.

This year I am learning Calligraphy. I have sat through four hours of history and theory and hope to put ink to paper this coming week. This is the beginning of a five year course at the 'Older Years University of Chongqing' to which I am eligible to attend just this year.

I continue to chat with my friends as much as possible with my limited vocab and bad grammar but they are immensely proud of my efforts and encourage me all the time.

And lastly this week, with the aid of my dictionary I am composing and sending text messages in Characters to my friends. I believe this will help me to recognize common everyday characters even better even if I still cannot write them.

Sep 14, 2007 18:01
  • GRIZ326
I can only tell you that I am making terribly slow progress ...and no one understood a thing I said on my trip this summer. :-( (That's not exactly true...but close enough.)

I am working on a theory that I must learn to speak pinyin properly. If I can do that, then a English->Chinese dictionary becomes useful.
Page 3 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How Many Members Are Learning Chinese??
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code