Menu
Guilin and guides
Apr 1, 2004 15:31
  • KIKI
Two of us are travelling to China in July 2003.

We are thinking of spending 2-3 days (all we can sapre)in Guilan. Any thoughts or advice on the area.

Further, people recomend getting a student as a guide in the larger cities. Is there an easy way to arrange this?
Apr 1, 2004 15:32
  • POLAR
There is no need to have a guide and driver in guilin. The scenery is breathbreaking. People will not have any difficulties to understand it. Pls do not forget to have a stop in Yangshuo. Have a nice trip.
Apr 1, 2004 15:33
  • WHITJOHN
Smile at any young person who looks bright (like a student) and speak politely to them in English. You will find that MANY Chinese speak some English and if you are friendly, you will soon find a guide and make a new friend. It's Guilin and you will be overwhelmed by the people who offer services to foreign visitors.
Apr 1, 2004 15:33
  • ANNA
In any large town or city there is an English Club. Sometimes you can locate local chinese people who will show you, with pride, their town simply in exchange for english conversation. You will have a local friend. Pick a town and use a search engine to locate I.E. "guanzhou english club". you should come up with something. It is a very rewarding way to see China and to get to know the people.
Apr 7, 2004 18:02
  • JONNYB
I recommend you travel to Yangshuo - the bus goes directly from the train station in Guilin and takes 70 minutes and costs 10RMB. I stayed at Lisa's which is on the main tourist street (west Street) and cost me 40RMB in March.
Jun 11, 2004 18:05
  • NSITOM
Hi Kiki,

Yangshuo is preferable to Guilin. We stayed on west street but found an upscale but not expensive hotel called the Magnolia on a parallel street. new, quieter and very clean. Its our choice on our next stay.

Tom
Post a Reply to: Guilin and guides
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code