Menu
Anshun & Huangguoshu Waterfalls OR Kaili & Miao Villages
Apr 16, 2007 11:57
  • GRIZ326
Anshun & Huangguoshu Waterfalls OR Kaili & Miao Villages: Too many places to see and not enough time. I'd really like to see the Huangguoshu Waterfalls and the Longgong Caves...

BUT in order to do that...I'd have to give up visiting the Miao villages outside of Kaili.

My gut tells me that the waterfall and the caves are mostly for tourists and that the Miao villages will be a look at a different and rural part of Chinese culture.

Travel times make the waterfalls and caves a bit easier, if luck was with you, you could probably do that out of Guiyang in a single day.

It is my impression that going to a village outside of Kaili and back to Guiyang will take at least 2 days - maybe 3 days.

Something tells me the Miao villages will provide richer memories than the waterfall and caves if I find a really interesting village.

Your thoughts to help me finalize my planning are appreciated.

Apr 16, 2007 21:39
  • MAY001
I'd rather choose Kaili & Miao Villages. I like the ethnical culture.
Apr 17, 2007 18:01
  • GRIZ326
I think you are correct May...

Do you have a favorite village to recommend?

Apr 17, 2007 20:01
  • CALIFORNIA
Totally Miao and Dong villages:-)
Apr 18, 2007 20:05
  • GRIZ326
...so once I get to Kaili, do I walk to the nearby villages?

Are there villages I should see?

I will be there between the 4th and 10th of July. I will miss all of the festivals. Correct?

Will I be able to find a place to stay?

Any customs I should know about? ...other than serving their wine in bowls as a greeting.... :)

Any information is appreciated, especially if it is in both Chinese and pinyin. I'm making good notes in Chinese characters for the trip. :)
Apr 20, 2007 09:59
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Griz,

Definately do the Miao villages. Contact TCG member Louisa from Kaili , who helped make our second visit a wonderful expereince.

OPTIONS: Get on the bus to Leishan (60 mins but there is nothing of interest there so need toget before) and when the road hits the small picturesque river you will see villages everywhere. You can get off anywhere and walk into these villages, many of which are not formerly open to the public but you are free to wander around.

Altenatively continue on to Lower Lengde and get off the bus there. The road forks to the right, check the map on the corner which outlines a 20kms (I think) circut up to Leishan and you can take a bike or hike into upper Lengde (maybe 4/5kms) which is a tourist village but still worth the visit (we stayed overnight here and hiked up the valley a few kilometers and continue the circut or return to the road and follow the river back to town and jump on the bus when you have seen enough.

Read my reviews. I've written up all my excursions into Guizhou, including two trips to Kaili. I love and you won't be disappointed. Huangguoshu Falls are beautiful but unless you go in the wet season they can be disappointing. I went in November and the Hippo pool falls were thundering and wet.

Do you only have one day to spend around Guiyang????? Any more questions
Jun 27, 2007 04:32
  • ELLYSE
The waterfalls of Tianxingqiao were better than Huangguoshu.
My friends and I also relied on Louisa to help with our itinerary and transport arrangements for 2 days in May 2006, as well as train tickets back to Shanghai. We were sorely disappointed and I'm sorry to say that the experience left a sour taste in my mouth.
Post a Reply to: Anshun & Huangguoshu Waterfalls OR Kaili & Miao Villages
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code