Menu
Work Pressure Comparation
Apr 25, 2007 04:44
  • APAULT
It is definitely less stressful to teach in China than schools in the UK and Australia...there is NO WAY I would teach in either of those countries, discipline is a horrendous problem. <ost of us teaching English in colleges and unis would not get jobs in the same institutions at home because we would have to be research level academics.

Yes we get an easier life than Chinese teachers because we have more freedom and escape so much of the bull...t that teachers have in a ny place in any country. However, I think Chinese teachers have it easy too, the workloads are lower than I have been used to and there is a long snooze break at lunchtime - in my college the working day in winter was 8:30 to 5pm with 2.5 hours for lunch and teachers teach about 14 to 16 classes. When I taught in a non-academic college in the UK (way back before the internet) I did 22 classes a week, 9 to 5 with one hour lunch.
Apr 28, 2007 03:32
  • CHYNAGYRL
Hi Chris, thanks for clarifying. I was thinking that even though the universities have only a minimum B.A. required for teaching English conversation, they can get very intelligent teachers -- like you. You obviously have a good head on your shoulders :-) The quality of English teachers at universities seems to depend on the particular applicant group, some very good, some are not good. In Taiwan, the standards have gone up -- now even to teach English conversation at any university you need a Ph.D. It used to be only a B.A., then it became an M.A. and then a Ph.D. very quickly. In Korea as well, (I only have a B.S.) now I cannot go back to the university I previously worked at, unless I get an M.A. Once the schools can pay higher salary, they start raising the requirements for their teachers. The standards are rising across those countries, and eventually they will in China too.
Apr 28, 2007 06:01
  • APAULT
For straight teaching, a higher level qualification is no indication of teaching skill. Or the other way around, there are many great teachers with no or little official qualifications.

Of course if you are going to teach in an academic sense in a true uni environment you should have the cademic backround.
Apr 29, 2007 00:43
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
China will one day start demanding better quality foreign teachers, but for now the demand is too huge and often completely irrational. Still, the big cities like Beijing and Shanghai are able to enforce some minimal standards.

You're right, Paul, no piece of paper can magically turn you into a good teacher. Trouble is, this world worships those magic pieces of paper.
Apr 29, 2007 01:08
  • MIRANDAZHAO
I do hope that one day I can travel around world and earn money by teaching Chinese. :D
Apr 30, 2007 06:55
  • APAULT
I hope you can Miranda....and maybe it will be possible as more people want to trade with China and visit here. But I think most of it will be formal business teaching rather than the more relaxed environment most of us find here in China in Schools and colleges.
Oct 26, 2007 04:12
GUEST11531 this is a pretty old thread.. but just in case people are still browse through it..

I have friends in Jakarta (who are Chinese-Indonesian) who says Chinese teachers are in demand there. Salary is around 1000usd/month with free accommodation..
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Work Pressure Comparation
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code