Menu
Chinese Photography Guide
Apr 17, 2007 06:15
  • LAO3HAN4RICK
I am contemplating a trip of perhaps two weeks to photograph karsts in Guangxi province. A good part of the trip could take in the area between Guilin and Yangshuo.

On a trip to this area several years ago, I met an excellent photographer, who I believe had the surname "Zhang" but I am not sure. At the time, he was selling and signing his soft-bound book of photography and pictures taken along the Li Jiang. If anyone knows his full name, address, or email, I would appreciate it very much.

I would like to come in contact with any technically adept photographer in the Guilin area that might consider a private photography workshop of the Li Jiang for perhaps a week. I am not seeking a local guide as much as I am a person who makes his/her living from photography and who knows the area well. Thanks in advance.

老汉 理查
(old man Richard)
Apr 18, 2007 23:06
  • MAY001
Sorry, Richard, I've no idea about the man you mentioned.

Do u know any Chinese? There is a website of Guilin Photographers:
http://www.glphotocenter.com/
Apr 18, 2007 23:30
  • FAERIEQUEENE
perhaps its ZHANG Liping who has a photography book of Guilin ??

http://www.gxpph.cn/book/nrbook.asp?id=269
Apr 19, 2007 06:38
  • LAO3HAN4RICK
你好May,

Very little. I am a beginning student of Chinese but my wife speaks very good Cantonese and Mandarin, so she can help me translate. I think the next poster has found my photographer, Zhang Liping. 谢谢

理查
Apr 19, 2007 06:50
  • LAO3HAN4RICK
你好Fae,

Yes, this is the man - Zhang Liping! Thank you for web address. Now I need to find a way to send him email, if possible. What a great resource the web is to help me with my question. 谢谢!

理查

Apr 20, 2007 20:12
  • LAO3HAN4RICK
你好Fae,

I am wondering if you might be able to suggest a way to find out if he has an email address? Every avenue I have searched leads nowhere. Thank you.

理查 Richard
Apr 21, 2007 11:14
  • FAERIEQUEENE
Hi Richard,

A friend showed us Zhang Liping's book 'Guilin Fantastic Dreamland' back from his China trip, and we were fascinated. Since then i came across some of his pics from internet (here is one i kept)

Just searched again, it seems that Zhang held tour cum photography workshop but via an agent, i found this American tour and photography workshop => www.englander-workshops.com/itineraries/china2006.(i don't personally know this agency, just found from the net).

Perhaps you could also contact the Chinese Photographers Association in Beijing, here are contacts i found in their website: http://www.cpanet.cn/hyzx/index.htm
Tel: 010-65135985 Fax: 010-65141477

hope that could be some clues...

May 20, 2007 12:26
  • LAO3HAN4RICK
Hello Faeriequeene,

Yes this is the man that works with Englander photography. I have have not been successful in my attempt to contact him. I tried sending email to the website you provided but it was returned as "undeliverable".

Any other ideas? I do believe that he resides in Guilin but perhaps I am wrong. Thank you.

Rick
May 21, 2007 21:07
  • FAERIEQUEENE
Hi Rick,

yesterday i left a message at the guilin photographers association forum, they gave me Zhang's mobile phone ! that i pm you.

Looked at that website too, the itinerary to the paddy rice fields is amazing but their price is far too high for that trip...It looks like it should be at its best in October. That's on our travel list too...

lynette
May 26, 2007 13:13
  • FRANKSANGERS
Hi Richard,

I recently baught the book you mentioned in Lijang. Really a fantastic book, as the mountains really are.

Zhang Liping's emailadress is: 263.net|g1z1p616
His phonenumbers: (0773)3840401 and mobile
; 13707836901

Hope it helps you further!

Frank Sangers,
The Netherlands
Post a Reply to: Chinese Photography Guide
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code