Menu
Which fruit do you like?
Apr 21, 2007 07:02
  • IVYCL
sorry.it's durian.
Apr 21, 2007 09:58
  • FAERIEQUEENE
我最愛荔枝, 密瓜、 哈密瓜、 白蘭瓜也不錯。

荔枝 (lychee), 密瓜 (honeydew melon)、哈密瓜 (cataloupe)、白蘭瓜('Bailan' melon from Lanzhou)
Apr 21, 2007 10:06
  • FAERIEQUEENE
Jabarootoo, your fruits are Mu gua 木瓜, mang guo 芒果 and purple passionfruit... a bit tricky, in Hong Kong it's called 熱情果, and it seems in Taiwan 百香果, and in China 西番蓮果??? (mind you i wrote in traditional Chinese)
Apr 22, 2007 05:15
  • SANYACHINA
You are a Hongkongnese so you have to full right to use your Traditional Chinese. No problem. I will translate it to the rest of the people in case that they do not understand:

我最愛 荔枝, 密瓜、 哈密瓜、 白蘭瓜 也 不錯。
我最爱 (吃???)荔枝, 密瓜、 哈密瓜、 白兰瓜 也 不错。

By the way why you do not use the verb "EAT" in front of the fruits? Is it some local HK dialect or you just miss to type it?

Apr 22, 2007 10:27
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Faeriequeene and Sanyachina,

Thanks for the information.

Taiwanese name 百香果 Bai xiang guo - Frangrant white fruit

Hongkong name 熱情果 Re qing guo Hot feelings (passion) fruit - this is a good translation

Mainland name 西番蓮果 Xi fan lian guo Western lotus flower

Is my Pinyin correct and would you translate them this way? I'm not too good on reading Hanzi.
This reminds me to ask my friends to bring me back some more when they are there over the holiday. Yummy.

Have any of you tried it. Really makes for a great fruit salad!! Plant tends to grow like a weeds in our gardens in Australia so we eat lots of them especially the yellow variety which are often fruitier, if one can say that about passionfruit which are almost all seed.

The purple passion fruit is native from southern Brazil through Paraguay to northern Argentina. It has been stated that the yellow form is of unknown origin, or perhaps native to the Amazon region of Brazil, or is a hybrid.

I wonder why it got it's name - PASSION? It has a beautiful flower.

Sanyachina have you seen them in Sanya. I bought them in the Nangua supermarket in the Summer Plaza in Dadonghai. Only place I've seen them in China So far.

Apr 22, 2007 10:45
  • SANYACHINA
Hello!
Sure here is full of these fruit. I learnt that the Native name is MARACUYA. :)
Apr 22, 2007 20:07
  • CALIFORNIA
我还喜欢猕猴桃=Wo3 Hai2 Xi3 Huan1 Mi2 Hou2 Tao2:-)
Apr 23, 2007 00:05
  • FAERIEQUEENE
is 獼猴桃 kiwi? haha it is called 奇異果 in Hongkong
Apr 23, 2007 00:11
  • FAERIEQUEENE
thank you, the above gentleman. True I would defend dearly for traditional Chinese, just for its beauty very self and its embodiment of the Chinese culture, and though I¡¯m not 'hongkongaise ' (my parents from Hongkong, the influence from the Hongkong connection being there that i’m still rediscovering), as a secondary user of the language.

back to the topic in your post, that might be your writing style... What i said in response to the topic, which is a question, was that among the fruits in china, 'lychees are my favourite' or literally 'i like lychees most'. The way you put my sentence with the verb eat, the act of eating could also mean I like eating lychees as a habit…
Apr 23, 2007 00:22
  • FAERIEQUEENE
Hi Jaborootoo,

I think I’ve only eaten the passion fruits inside sort of meringue cakes, though they also seem in the market from the Caribbean presumably and very commonly made into sirop. I’d like to peel and cut one… and try them for salad (if i find them in supermarkets in Hongkong, they seem rare). I’m sure to post pix to tempt your taste buds… You are so lucky to have them in the garden!

The ‘passion’ seems to be associated with the crucifixion and the passion of Christ.
Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Which fruit do you like?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code