Menu
Marco Polo Road Revives
Apr 21, 2007 21:07
  • ELLEN77
It is said that an Italian exploration team will rewalk the routes that Marco Polo had led to the Orient by riding a horse, and they will arrive at Beijing in 2008.
This kind of 'Rewalking' is no fresh for us. Acturally, in China, a very famous host on CCTV had led a team that rewaked the routes of 'Long March', and 'Xuanzang' Journey' activity had also been held.

I think this kind of activities are very helpful for the cross-cultural communication, and a good way to learn from the history.
What do you think about it? Why do you think there is a renaissance of these kind of activities?
Apr 22, 2007 10:52
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes Ellen I agree with you. A great cross-cultural tool.

One of the things that Marco Polo obviously could not do was take a photos and videos. Thankfully he wrote very discriptive accounts of what he saw and experienced and we have been able to glean much from these over the years but I think it is wonderful to see the steps of intrpid pioneers throughout the past centuries retraced and filmed. It is interesting to share the emotions and the physical stress of these modern explorers who have many things especially electronic and mechanical luxuries to assist them.

I'm expecially facinated by the 'Long March' now that I have seen much of the country that was traversed, frist hand and know that it must have been a incredibly arduous, dangerous trip and anyone who survived deserves our admiration.

And epic journeys like Marco Polo, what can I say...........
Apr 22, 2007 20:18
  • ELLEN77
Yes, Jabarootoo, 'Long March' is really a difficult journey, I will still deeply moved by the couragerous, heroic and frindly spirits of the army when I watch it on the TV. It is really a good training for us by retracing.

The Marco Polo Journey must be also very great.
Apr 22, 2007 20:56
'It is said that an Italian exploration team will rewalk the routes that Marco Polo had led to the Orient by riding a horse'

I've never seen horses on the street, hehe~~~
Apr 25, 2007 05:16
  • KIWICHINESE
Here's another trip that is happening:

Blokarters going global with dash across Gobi

The blokarts traversing Mongolia are expected to reach 80km/h or more. Blokarting, a phenomenon that sprang out of Tauranga, is set to leap on to the global stage in a daring series of sprints across the arid landscape of Mongolia.

Five Western Bay of Plenty men have teamed up with seven international adventurers to tackle a new frontier in the sport of blokarting.

Apart from a tentative test sail into the Gobi Desert last year by Frenchman Christophe Gombert - an experience punctuated with punctures - it is virgin ground for these swift, sturdy and remarkably compact little land yachts designed and manufactured by Paul Beckett of Tauranga.

Twelve blokarters will crisscross the same terrain where Genghis Khan gathered his army 800 years ago to create one of the greatest empires the world has known.

Apr 25, 2007 09:28
  • JABAROOTOO
Sounds like a lot of fun. A bit of a challenge in the desert but fun all the same. Landsailing has been around for a long time. I've seen it on beaches and other flat places with loads of wind.

Even tried it once out in a grassy paddock with a bunch of sailboarding buddies but it was rugged. Oh we where using sailboard rigs on a board with wheels...........
Post a Reply to: Marco Polo Road Revives
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code