Menu
Two months left to prepare...
Apr 22, 2007 13:30
  • GRIZ326
I am making lists in Chinese/Pinyin/English to make it a bit easier getting around; studying my Pimsleur; and practicing my close-up magic which always helps in making friends.

Luggage is two bags: a small backpack and a messenger-size shoulder bag for gadgets. I won't be taking much in the way of clothing and toiletries - but I am bringing a camera, a stereo WAV recorder & microphone, my Palm TX which runs the Pleco dictionary and I'll probably bring a second electronic dictionary. Of course, that means heavy batteries and power supplies. I figure all of the clothes go into the backpack and can safely be left behind while I go exploring.

The jet arrives June 27th at 8pm in Hong Kong...and then the real trip begins:

Hong Kong -> Guangzhou (train)
Guangzhou -> Nanning (plane)
Nanning -> Guiyang -> Kaili (train): I hope to hook up with TCG member there to see the Miao villages.
Guiyang -> Chengdu (plane)
Chengdu -> Emei Shan -> Chengdu (train or bus?)
Chengdu -> Xian (plane)
Xian -> Beijing (plane)

Most of the trip is planned around Kaili, Emei Shan and Chengdu. I will pretty much bypass Guangzhou and I may leave Nanning off the itinerary altogether.

Quick stuff questions: I am traveling backpacker style - should I bring a sleeping sheet? Would a poncho be more useful than a rain jacket? Am I forgetting something? With the recording equipment, I think I am already carrying "the kitchen sink." ;)

Because I hope to teach English starting in September 2008, I'd like to make a few contacts along the way. There's nothing like face-to-face contact for business dealings.

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated...especially with regards to inexpensive places to sleep and sites that are too often overlooked.
Apr 23, 2007 03:51
  • JABAROOTOO
Poncho is good idea if back packing

Skip Nanning if not going for very special reasons

Bus from chengdu to Emei

Sleeping sheet will be useful in villages. Mine is silk, very light. While I don't need to use it much it is good to have on hot nights to keep mosquitoes off or the other bed clothes are too heavy.

Accommodation can range from as little as Y10 per night (villages) to around Y80 in hostels and guesthouses. There is so much more to choose from these days and you should have no trouble finding something cheap. Good idea to book in Chengdu, Emei and Xi'an if you know you dates.

Guiyang - I stay in one of the cheap hotels beside the station for quick get away but since you are flying you could look around for something cheaper in town although the airport shuttle/CAAC office is only a few blocks from the train/bus station too Take tourist bus 1 or 2 they both go past.

Chengdu - Sam's Guesthouse yahoo.com|samtour 86 28 86154179
Holley's and Sims are just a few that continue to get good reports. I stayed at Sam's but book if you can.

Emeishan - Teddybear Cafe is the best backpacker (maybe only one) that I know of and we stayed two nights.
Has dorm rooms and good food yahoo.com.cn|teadybearcafe 86 833 5590135

Xi'an - google search will bring up list of hostels/guesthouses there. Centrally located is the Bell Tower Hostel
gmail.com|yha.xian.china 86 29 8723305

Hope you find some of this useful.
Apr 23, 2007 09:38
  • GRIZ326
WOW! Thank you....谢谢
Apr 24, 2007 01:27
  • MAY001
Hong Kong -> Guangzhou (train)
or you can take the coach.

Guangzhou -> Nanning (plane)
yes, you may skip this city cos I don't think it's a good travel destination

Nanning -> Guiyang -> Kaili (train): I hope to hook up with TCG member there to see the Miao villages.
Sleeping sheet might be helpful in villages cos the condition there might be not good

Guiyang -> Chengdu (plane)
Chengdu -> Emei Shan -> Chengdu (train or bus?)
I think both are ok

Chengdu -> Xian (plane)
It's better to take a train. It's very cheap and you can save one night's accomodation. Do contact me when you are in Xian, Griz.

Xian -> Beijing (plane)
ditto
Apr 24, 2007 14:05
  • GRIZ326
Thank you, May, perhaps we can get a cup of tea together.
Apr 25, 2007 04:17
  • APAULT
Guangzhou is not too bad, I wasn't keen to go there but was pleasantly surprised.

There is Simian Island with hostel on it but I believe heavily booked, the big 'strange foods market' ...someone can give you the proper name, and The Chen's family palace/courtyard. A trip on the river in the evening is pleasant too.

I agree on Nanning, except for the nearby angmei village, but I doubt u'd go to Nanning just for that.
Apr 27, 2007 21:37
  • MAY001
When will you exactly arrive at Xian??
Apr 27, 2007 21:57
  • GRIZ326
I will get to Xian around July 12-14, May. Plans are still in development, but that's the way it looks today...2 months to the day before I land in Hong Kong.
Post a Reply to: Two months left to prepare...
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code