Menu
What is the best China travel map?
Apr 25, 2007 03:41
  • EWELINA
I'm planning an independent, few months long trip in China and I'm looking for a good map. Haven't found anything in the stores yet that would suit me. I want to buy something online but it's so many of the travel maps of China that I don't know which one to choose.

Could you please tell me which works the best for you?

Apr 25, 2007 04:11
  • APAULT
How can we advise you when your profile doesnt tell us what country you are in?
Apr 25, 2007 04:13
  • EWELINA
Ehmmm... I'm in Ireland at the moment. Looks like I need to update my profile ;)
Apr 25, 2007 09:32
  • JABAROOTOO
Ewelina,

You sai you have the LP. It has all the basic maps you will need. As soon as you arrive in each of your destinations you can purchase a local map of the city. Most of these have a map of the county or province and often other cities nearby. You can buy them at stations, street stalls in most large cities, tourist touts will shove them in your face or if you have time to browse the bookstores you'll find a good source of maps there and you may even pick up a good one of the entire nation but it won't have enough small detail.
Apr 25, 2007 09:46
  • EWELINA
Thanks!

At the moment I'm in the process of planning and so I would like to have a big map on which I could highlight all the places I wanna see and figure out the best route.

And I just feel safer knowing that I've everything with me. Not beeing worried if I will find the map that I need in the destination place.

Do you know any maps that would have names both in simplified and traditional Chinese? So even if I don't know how to say the city name I could point it on the map to clarify.
Apr 25, 2007 10:17
  • GRIZ326
I have the Collins China map. It is good for getting a sense of where things are and relative distances. Mine has seen tremendous use in planning my trip this summer. The scale is 1:5000000 so using a mapwheel is less than perfect, but still helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/China-Map-Independent-Travel-Series/dp/0004490940/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/104-2475763-0099145?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177513690&sr=8-5

As Jabarootoo pointed out, you will have to get your local maps on the ground and importantly, your Lonely Planet guide has basic maps.

Finding a detailed map in both English and Chinese can be a bit challenging and unless you read Chinese, a Chinese only map won't be very useful to you. BRING A COMPASS, you might be surprised at how useful it can be within a city.
Apr 26, 2007 08:18
  • EWELINA
Thanks Griz!

The map is ordered and the compass joind the 'To Buy' list :)
Apr 26, 2007 09:34
  • APAULT
I bought a great map in Cjina...in Shanghai,... but no idea who publishes.

The reason i ask wher u r, is that in Aus there is a great map shop and I can send u to it...maybe some poms or Irish know of somewhere in yr loaction

Mar 19, 2008 09:10
  • RICHSIMP
There are plenty goods ones you print off free online I got a good provincial map I downloaded from findchina.net. Printing them off is best if you want to laminate them (use a 35 micron then iron in the folds under a newspaper or a 75 micron if you want to roll it).
Mar 19, 2008 10:43
  • GARYKINKADE
I definitely agree with Griz on the compass, having one and a good map eliminates much confusion.
Post a Reply to: What is the best China travel map?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code