Menu
Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool Cole gives Blues the edge
Apr 27, 2007 21:02
  • HELPSLAYER
Blues have edge at Anfield

Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole (center) scores the game's only goal past Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina (left) as defender Alvaro Arbeloa closes in during their Champions League semifinal, first leg at Stamford Bridge in London on Wednesday.CHELSEA heads up to Liverpool next week after missing a clear chance to kill off its semifinal tie at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.

Joe Cole's well-taken goal after 29 minutes was the only one of the first leg, where Chelsea dominated the opening half but failed to finish off a Liverpool side that began far too cautiously and conceded all the early initiative.

The visitors were far more effective in the second half, especially after Peter Crouch replaced Craig Bellamy in attack after 53 minutes.

But they were denied by some typically resolute Chelsea defending and one outstanding save from goalkeeper Peter Cech, who dived full length to save a sizzling Steven Gerrard volley.Mourinho said it was a positive result.

"I'm very happy with the players. It's a victory so that when the game starts in Anfield, Chelsea will be ahead 1-0," Mourinho said.

"I am frustrated... For what we did in the first half we did more than enough to score two, three or four goals," he said.

"For sure (Rafael) Benitez and his people will think it's a result that will give them the chance to be in the final but me and my people think it's also a result for us to be there."

Mourinho and Benitez agreed the Anfield crowd would make a difference but the Liverpool manager would not be drawn on which side had the advantage.

"We play in Anfield with our supporters behind us but at the same time they are a very good in counter-attack and we must be aware of this," the cautious Spaniard said.

Chelsea travels to Tuesday's second leg in better shape than two years ago, when it drew the home leg of its semifinal with Liverpool 0-0 and then lost the second leg 0-1 at Anfield.

However, Chelsea lost 0-2 on its last visit to Anfield in the Premier League in January - which was also its last league defeat this season.

It marred a good record at Anfield over the last five seasons, with Chelsea having won three and drawn one of its seven games there.
Apr 27, 2007 21:02
  • HELPSLAYER
Most of those games have been tight, low-scoring wars of attrition and next week's match is likely to be just as closely-contested.

There is also likely to be no thaw in the frosty relationship between Chelsea's Portuguese coach Jose Mourinho and his Spanish counterpart Rafa Benitez.

Mourinho embarrassed himself after the match by claiming that German referee Markus Merk had denied Chelsea a nailed-on penalty, saying that Liverpool's Spanish defender Alvaro Arbeloa had handled the ball in the penalty area.

"I hope it is not a mistake like the one two years ago at Anfield," said Mourinho, referring to the disputed goal Luis Garcia scored for Liverpool and which the Portuguese coach has always said never crossed the line.

Mourinho continued: "It was a handball for sure. I hope in the second leg we are not crying about a big decision like that."

He later backed down when told the handball occurred outside the area, but Benitez could not resist the opportunity to sarcastically comment: "It must be a penalty. If Mourinho says it was a penalty, it was a penalty."

There is certainly plenty more sparring left in this tie before an eventual winner emerges to face either Manchester United or AC Milan in the final in Athens on May 23.
Apr 27, 2007 21:04
  • HELPSLAYER

Chelsea's Joe Cole (center) scores past Liverpool's goalkeeper Pepe Reina (left) during their Champions League semi-final, first leg soccer match at Stamford Bridge in London yesterday.

Apr 27, 2007 21:06
  • HELPSLAYER

Liverpool's Steven Gerrard (right) and Chelsea's Ashley Cole battle for the ball during their Champions League semi-final first leg soccer match at Stamford Bridge, London.

Post a Reply to: Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool Cole gives Blues the edge
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code