Menu
What's the most difficult part of Chinese learning?
Apr 30, 2007 02:50
  • MIRANDAZHAO
When I learnt English in middle school, I found the vocabulary is the most difficult thing to me. What about learning Chinese? Which is the most difficult part? Grammar? Vocabulary? Reading? Writing? And even the Chinese culture?

Apr 30, 2007 06:59
  • APAULT
Everything!

But I suppose saying the sounds which are so close (to my ears) AND at the same time trying to remember tones...I cannot even hear the tones (except no 3...sometimes!).

May 1, 2007 16:38
  • SANYACHINA
Chinese grammar is very primitive, so it is not a big problem. Writing is the big problem for everyone. You know - some guys are able to type a sms, but not able to write the same sms on paper.
May 3, 2007 16:30
  • DAVEC
For me it has to be the tones. I sometimes cant tell the difference between tones maybe because I am getting older.
May 3, 2007 19:59
  • PEA28COCK
i think the tone is the most important part in learning Chinese. Four tones make Chinese unique and so melodious.
May 4, 2007 07:40
  • SANYACHINA
"For me it has to be the tones. I sometimes cant tell the difference between tones maybe because I am getting older."

No, man! You are just normal non-han-Chinese! Some of the Chinese who are not Native Han-speakers are the same! Just because in the most languages of the World people don't need tones to can speak.
May 4, 2007 07:42
  • SANYACHINA
"i think the tone is the most important part in learning Chinese. Four tones make Chinese unique and so melodious."

Well...the 4 basic tones are making Chinese unique and melodic? THEN----start to learn Vietnamase! IT IS MORE "unique" and "melodic", because there the tones are 8 !!!!!!!!! :D
May 5, 2007 00:29
  • LIONPOWER
This time (Apr14 -May04) I realize my Chinese learning too bad, cause I always in between English speaking Chinese friends.
So this time I travel to fish, meat and veritable market alone and purchased every thing. All people heartily help me, how to speak the name of the items.
Not 10 years, only 10 days, now I can speaks with the shop keepers.
May be wrong way but I hopeful, next time I may speak some what better way.
Decided not to move with English speaking Chinese friends except business hours.
May 5, 2007 20:10
  • MAY001
Yes, Sharif, the best way to learn a language should be communicating with the people.I'm sure you can learn it better and better.
May 5, 2007 21:38
  • WINDENERGY
MIRANDAZHAO,

The most difficult part in learning Chinese, without a doubt, is correct pronunciation. The 4 tones play only a part of pronunciation skills. Because westerners learn western pronunciation in early childhood,we must retrain are speaking voices to make new sounds. For instance, the 'u' sound in Chinese words like 'nu', 'yu', etc.. are very nasal-sounding 'u's', unlike the 'u' sounds in english. Also, Chinese native speaking do not pronounce their consonants very clearly, so the untrained here has difficultly understanding what the speaker is saying. In Wuhan the 'n' sound is pronounced like an 'l' and is Xiamen the 'sh' sound like an 's'.
When one travels extensively through China, local dialects, and the way the locals use their dialect is, by far, the most difficult part of learning Chinese.
Also, SANYA, I have no idea of what you mean when writing:
"some guys are able to type a sms, but not able to write the same sms on paper." What's an sms?
Anyhow, learning a second language is a difficult and time-consuming project. Hat's off to the Chinese people have striving to learn western tongue in public and private institutions.

__WINDENERGY__
May 5, 2007 21:58
  • MAY001
Tones are difficult, I agree. When I leanrt Cantonese, I felt desperately angry about some tones.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What's the most difficult part of Chinese learning?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code