Menu
air travel inside China
May 2, 2007 04:02
  • PETERSEAFORD
please advise the most popular air services in China .
been told that some carriers are preferred to others for one reason or another.

please advise if the rail service from Shanghai to Hong Kong should be added to my tour plan.

appreciate your opinions

regards peter
May 8, 2007 03:57
  • JABAROOTOO
Chinese Domestic Carriers are by and large pretty similar. I fly three or four times each year sometimes more and have used several carriers. I personally don't too much difference. the food is basic the service is average and polite and delays happen but I've been fortunate not to have experience longer than 30/40 mins on one occasion
May 8, 2007 06:15
  • APAULT
My limited experience is that air travel is professional, no more no less, and the planes full.

In what respect are you asking about the rail service Shanghai to HK? (Not that I can knowledgeably answer anyway!)
May 8, 2007 23:11
  • BETWEENUS21
the 6 major China air carriers are safe and in fact their aircrafts are all modern and they are either Boeing or Airbus planes and their aircraft average age is very young - and in fact China domestic airlines's aircraft are much younger at an avearge of less than 4 yrs old and newer than those in the US (ave 15 yrs old planes). Domestic flights are reliable and service is alright and certaintly beat any US domestic flights.
May 15, 2007 15:47
  • PETERSEAFORD
thanks for that information

regards peter
Jun 27, 2007 05:28
  • ELLYSE
I personally prefer Hainan Airlines and Shanghai Airlines wherever possible. I try to avoid China Eastern wherever possible. Avoid Shenzhen Airlines like the plague.
Jun 27, 2007 11:32
  • BETWEENUS21
it all depends also where one is and wants to go - and the frequencies of each airline. hinan air is ok but limited domestic destinations and uses the smaller single-aisle type like the 737s and A320s. However usually domestic flight would be just under 2 hrs or so for most. China Southern is one large-sized carrier and service is ok - generally domestic flights' service r ok with inflight meals. As for Shenhzen airlines, perhaps some may just had a bad experience; but in any case its a very small carrier with very limited destinations - so its doubtful if one really flies it except to n from Shenzhen itself but then its still have very limited flights.
Jun 28, 2007 00:49
  • CAVEDAVE67
I flew with China Southern during spring festival .I was going to take the train from Beijing to Shenzhen because it was cheaper but when i saw how people were thinking the same i decided to fly.It cost me $225 AU dollars and 3 hours; the train was about $130 AU i think?{maybe cheaper"i can't remember, but was going to take me 23 hours.My flight was 2 hours late hehe.I heard that Dragon air is good.Apparently most of the pilots are from the old Ansett in Australia,BUT this is just hear say. The web site i was looking at for trains is www.seat61.com.But i think travel tickets are always cheaper in China than from internet abroad?
Jun 28, 2007 01:15
  • BETWEENUS21
yes domestic travel air tickets or train are cheaper when bought within China and through bigegr travel agencies/agents - similiar with hotel rates too. It would be cheaper to have taken Chian Southern from Beijing to Guangzhou (where its main base is) and then take a 50 min train ride from Guangzhou to Shenhzen. Dragon air is essentially a Hong Hong based airline and until recently was in fact owned in most part by Cathay to serve its China cities ex-HK - which it still does but believed now Air China has bought some interests into Dragon air. It however still remains very much a "HK" based airline and yes, it have mostly Aussie and British pilots.
Jun 29, 2007 00:56
  • JABAROOTOO
Update of prices - buying tickets in China.

I'm just buying domestic flights for my trip home in July/Aug after picking up a good discount on and International flight from Guangzhou I need to get down there.

After checking online using TCG for the schedule and prices on the dates I wanted to fly I asked the agent I use here in Chongqing on a regular basis and tickets that are currently advertised at Y1700 my agent is able to deliver to my door for just Y1200

Quite a substantial savings for me and I know I have exactly what I want. You can buy tickets at the airport when you arrive or use your hotel which often have booking services, alternatively keep you reye open for the CAAC or Air China offices.

I fly with Air China, China Southern, Sichuan Air and Hainan Air and have found them all to be good. Air China probably has the best discounts with more flights available if you have the time to take them at odd times of the day.
Sep 18, 2009 13:04
GUEST30145 We have been told carry on baggage can not exceed 11lbs. This seem very low. Is this limit stricly enforce?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: air travel inside China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code