Menu
acceptable clothing for women
May 2, 2007 18:01
  • SHK204
I am traveling with college students to Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, and Nanjing in a few weeks.

I heard the weather will be nice, so that leads me to some questions about acceptable clothing.

I was planning on wearing shorts, skirts, tank tops, etc. but I've heard rumors that this is a faux pax in China -- that it's not culturally accepted that women show that much skin. Is this true? Are shorts and tank tops and sandals generally not accepted?

Of course I will bring long pants too, but I don't want to be hot walking around in the sun all day!
May 2, 2007 18:25
  • GRIZ326
I was in Beijing last summer and thought the Chinese were fashion conscious, nice dressers. I know many women wore shorts; I do not recall many tank tops; however, in place of the tank tops many women wore very nice, silky blouses that were not tucked in at the waist.

Of course, I'm so old that I remember when the Dead Sea was just sick, so maybe your advice should come from a younger member. ;)
May 2, 2007 23:53
  • DOMROM
You will fine wearing what you want to qwear but do not make it too provocative.Casual is fine but the Hooters look is not what would be acceptable to Chinese.So maqke it classy summer attire.It will get very warm in a few weeks I would strongly recommend you have linen,cotton and very light garments at that.We are a Canadian based buying agency with permament offices and home in Ningbo so we have been here at all times of the year and have seen all the weather patterns.
Be casual,shorts are OK and discreet tank tops also OK but as I said no Hooters style.
best rgds
Dominic
May 4, 2007 04:46
  • APAULT
Yes agreed...plenty (tho stil a minority ) of girls wear hot pants, but they are not yet into shove em as high as you can and show as much as you can, breasts as is the fashion in Sydney and presumably elsewhere. Some cleavage is fine. On the other hand if you wanna be different - I don't think you'll actually get into any trouble.
May 5, 2007 00:08
  • LIONPOWER
Any dress in city areas, I guess, no problem.
But when you are moving around country side, please try to adjust the locals where you are traveling. All areas not the same.
May 5, 2007 00:56
  • PEA28COCK
For always you can wear what you want in China. Just keep in mind that do the right thing in the right occasion.
May 7, 2007 09:29
  • JABAROOTOO
All above advice is good. Girls here and some older women are into hotpants, remember them and shoestirng straps with clear bra straps. The only problem you will all have it that you will attract a lot of attention whatever you where so just warn your students that if they don't want to attact too much attention then their clothes should be cool comfortable and not too revealing.

The Chinese are naturally curious and don't see a lot overweight people in the population although obesity is on the rise so if any of your groups happens to be on the large side then they probably will feel more comfortable if they are dressed smartly too, drawing less attention generally.
'
Post a Reply to: acceptable clothing for women
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code