Menu
Homestay or hotel??
May 6, 2007 07:20
  • DAVEC
Next year I plan to stay in China for 3 or 4 weeks without too much travellling around. Do you think I should stay in a hotel or try to find a homestay and experience more Chinese culture.
May 6, 2007 11:43
  • JABAROOTOO
Dave,
It all depends on what part of the country you wish to visit. There are some homestay options in some of the larger cities like Beijng, Guangzhou, Xian and Chengdu but you may like to consider getting right out in the countryside, living with a rural ethnic minority family and exploring the surrounding area.

I've just come back from northwest Sichuan from a gem of a place that while it sees tourists is still relatively untouched by them. We got DBB for Y40 per day and very few other people ever intrude on this household overnight. The last time they hosted a foreigner was ten years ago. Weekends may see a few groups from the nearby town out for dinner and mahjong playing.

I'll be posting a Travel Review in the coming weeks but let me know if you are interested and I'll pass on some information to help you decide if this suits you.
May 6, 2007 14:24
  • DAVEC
I have not fully decided where to stay so I can keep my options open and be flexible. I do know that I wont be staying at any big cities. I want to keep away from the big places and experience traditional China.
May 7, 2007 21:22
  • APAULT
If you don't want to travel much and would like to see the culture, then homestay is a good idea. Maybe you can arrange more than one location so that you see more. Of course homestay is friendly but it does tie you down a bit and you have a little less freedom.
Post a Reply to: Homestay or hotel??
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code