Menu
Do you like seaweed?
May 10, 2007 02:54
  • DAVEC
Just wondered how many people like eating seaweed, not the fried 'seaweed' we get in the west which is fried cabbage but the proper straight out of the sea stuff.
The reason I ask is because a chinese friend of mine cooked it for me once and I thought it was the worse thing I have ever tasted but she loves it. It was in thin strips and when soaked in water became much larger so I dont know what type it was.
Anyway, does anyone really like it?
May 10, 2007 04:05
  • VALMINX
Seaweed is also a traditional dish of Wales and is called Laverbread - and yes i enjoy it cooked with bacon and mushrooms, though i dont know how different this is to what you tried!
May 10, 2007 19:32
  • KEVIN0518
How about it ? I like it. First, soak it in the boiling water. And then make it cold and put some condiments in it. Now, a cold dish is prepared for you.

May 14, 2007 08:14
  • DAVEC
This is the stuff I tried. For me the flavour is too strong. Mind you it is the only Chinese food I have tried and didn't like.
May 15, 2007 03:18
  • EWELINA
Kevin, what kind of condiments do you put on it usually? I think I'm gonna try :)

Are there any other kinds of preparing it. Maybe I could try a few.

Should I take a specific kind of seaweed or it doesn't matter and all of them can be prepared in the same way?
May 15, 2007 04:24
  • KEVIN0518
Well, actually I can not make it myself. My mom does for us. Usually, she puts some salt, sugar, vinegar,sesame oil and monosodium glutamate. Plese do not add them too much. Put some sesame in it and it tastes good.
Except making a cold dish, you can make a soup with spareribs or tomatoes.

May 16, 2007 23:22
  • CHYNAGYRL
I really like kelp seaweed. It's good stewed with pork, with some soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil.
May 28, 2007 11:00
  • EWELINA
So I tried a tofu & seaweed soup. There wasn't that much seaweed in it but I enjoyed it anyway. Can't wait to try some other seaweed dishes!
May 28, 2007 20:16
  • KEVIN0518
Hope you enjoy it.
May 30, 2007 13:13
  • JHALLUCINE
Not sure how your friend cooked it to throw you off, there are just so many ways...Generally it tastes great, a delicacy in both Chinese and Japanese cuisines (much more in the latter since they deal with the sea a lot more)...Give it another try!
May 30, 2007 13:25
  • DAVEC
I had it in a soup, seaweed and egg. Might give it a try again if it is cooked differently but not sure I will like it.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do you like seaweed?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code