Menu
Are Chinese superstitious?
May 16, 2007 08:35
  • EWELINA
Do Chinese people belive that walking under the ladder or a black cat crossing your way can bring bad luck?

What are the Chinese superstitions?
May 16, 2007 09:05
  • RITA
This question covers too many people! There are superstitious people and not so superstitious people everywhere in the world. Chinese are not known for being supersititious, but some people are very superstitious, esp those live in remote places, some people mix the superstition with their culture or custom such as some minority groups.

I do have heard some superstitions, such as the one involved my own experience, my mother believes that singing at table, esp with food in your mouth is not good, you would become a beggar. Of course i do not believe it, never did, or maybe this is a way to make the children focus on eating. Another example, we do not throw the rubbish away during Spring Festival day(i still do not figure out when to throw the rubbish away).

No matter what the "superstition" is, there is a good reason behind it, at least for those who believe it. Mostly it tells people to behave well, so that we can have a better life. Most superstitions are regional, I am not sure if there is a nationwide "superstition" in China.

There must be others, will be fun to know more ...
May 16, 2007 19:52
  • TRAVELDREAM
In my hometown, it's bad hearing the cry of crows. It's believed that someone in the house will soon die after its cry.
May 16, 2007 20:17
  • QQIAN0124
i have never heared of walking under the ladder or a black cat crossing your way can bring bad luck though i'm a chinese.
but i still think i'm superstitious, and i do not like the number4
May 16, 2007 23:32
  • CHYNAGYRL
although i'm not from China, some aspects of Chinese culture seem superstitious to me. Like praying to one's ancestors. I can understand honouring and paying respects to the dead, but some Chinese people ask their ancestors for blessings and money meaning they see them as a demi-God. Also in Hong Kong and Taiwan, they seem to have a lot of Gods... ie kitchen God, earth God, etc.
May 17, 2007 11:20
  • LIONPOWER
superstitious?
Every where--
Different form & meanings
Aug 20, 2008 19:18
  • REMAG1234
A big YES.
Aug 21, 2008 05:06
  • JACKAROO
Is the Pope Catholic?
Post a Reply to: Are Chinese superstitious?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code