Menu
Interesing meanings of chopsticks!
May 18, 2007 04:18
  • EVENING
You may have used chopsticks to eat, but do you know it can be given to your friends as a kind of gift?

Chopsticks in Chinese called Kuai4 Zi3.

Kuai has two meanings: happy or fast
Zi usually means son.

Giving a pair of chopsticks to a newly married couple will send your best wishes of having healthy son as soon as possible to them!

When their son is one month old, giving chopsticks means hoping the boy grow happily and quickly!!

Also you can give them to your BF or GF. Chopsticks always stay in pairs! So that is to say you want to be with her or him forever!! Romantic than rose, isn't it?? ^_&

Have a try, your friends will be surprized and happy with your special gifts!!
May 18, 2007 04:41
  • JIMMYB
Thank u, Ellen. You remind me what gift I should send to one of my good friends on her birthday:-)
May 18, 2007 09:29
  • JABAROOTOO
Thanks for this culural insight. I was given a lovely set of 12 pairs. any significance in the number besides the packaging??
May 20, 2007 09:54
  • APAULT
What if u give them when the child is a girl? One wouldnt want to be guilty of a major social error!!!

May 20, 2007 20:32
  • EVENING
Hi Jabaroo,
12 equals double 6. Six in China symbolizes everything goes well! So your friend give you a double wish of everything goes well!! : )

Hi Paul,
Zi Chinese usually means son, but also understood as one's child, no matter a girl or a boy!
: = )
May 21, 2007 02:18
  • CALIFORNIA
Ooops!!!

Don't like Kuai4 Zi3:-(
May 21, 2007 02:42
  • FAERIEQUEENE
i think 12 is the usual number for a full chinese table, thus it might just mean a gift for you and your family... Chopsticks gift sets usually are in pair or in a dozen.
May 22, 2007 10:47
  • WINDENERGY
Whenever my local hosts take me out to eat at a nice Chinese restaurant, the chopsticks are always smooth and long. It looks like they are made out of polished slate (or fine-grained rock). It's sooooooo difficult to eat with these sometimes,,,,,especially the seafood, it slips through the shiny chopsticks ;+(.

I think whoever invented the Chinese word for chopsticks (Kuaizi) didn't have "happy" or "fast" in mind. "Kuai"can also translate to "straightforward" as well as "forthright". Which is probably where kuaizi originated from.

In any case, I prefer mine made out of wood, recycled and with little notches near the grabbing end (it makes it so much easier to grab snails and shrimp!).

__WINDENERGY__
May 26, 2007 21:43
  • ELLEN77
Thanks Evening, from your interpretation, I think it is really a good idea to send friends KUAI Zi as a gift.
May 26, 2007 22:50
  • GURTY
WINDENERGY, is that difficult for you to eat with chopsticks?

Maybe it was your first time that you had been in a Chinese restaurant.
Try it again, you will find it not sooooooo difficult. VOL
May 31, 2007 00:29
  • WINDENERGY
Gurty,

No, Gurty, eating with chopsticks is not difficult at all. WhatI was saying is that SOME chopsticks are hard to deal with.

__WINDENERGY__
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Interesing meanings of chopsticks!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code