Menu
Resident Card
May 20, 2007 02:54
  • CHINATUCK
How do I go about getting a resident card so I do not have to mess with Visas? I also need a drivers license
???????????
May 20, 2007 06:11
  • APAULT
You cannot bypass the visa that gets u the resident card - as far as I know.

Drivers licences. There are several threads on this. International licences are not valid... tho some people have a letter in Chinese which purports to make them valid... a local contact says they were not impressed when he was stopped but got away with it. You are supposed to pass a test to get a local licence but there are offices claiming they can get one for u. Look beneath the end of this post to see if there is an advertisment - there is sometimes. Otherwise look in the advertisement forum. I dont see how these can be genuine licences...but the advertisers claim they are.
May 20, 2007 17:12
  • WCTMAN
Here is how you get a drivers license: buy a car. Drivers licences are handed to you along with the keys.

May 20, 2007 21:49
  • MAY001
I don't think it's easy to get a residential card since China is not a immigrant country.
May 22, 2007 04:24
  • JABAROOTOO
Good one WCTMAN I think that's the way it happens for many people. You certainly don't have to know how to drive to get one.
I know one such person that this is the case. And theat person has just purchased a new car.

I was also thinking about the impact of driving 'role models' in China. Of course these are the taxi drivers and bus drivers. So for any of you who have taken a taxi will know that these offer most exptreme examples of the best driving skills on one hand and the most deplorable on the other extreme.

I take taxis more often now than I used to and I'd say I average 1 in 10 or more who actually drive well. I would love to sit them in the back of thier cabs with a rally driver at the wheel and run them around town so they can feel how it actually feels for the passengers. They simply have no idea.

Back to your point. You will have to go through all the formal avenues and you'll not likely get a licence without the appropriate visa and resident permits.
May 22, 2007 08:10
  • APAULT
Brilliant Jabaroo, taxi drivers (in fact most drivers) have a negative impact on the 'harmonious society'
Post a Reply to: Resident Card
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code