Menu
Traditional to give gifts?
May 20, 2007 05:31
  • DAVEC
When I visited Taiwan everywhere we went we had to give gifts to people when we arrive at their house, is it the same for mainland China? Why is it done and how would a westerner like me know what is appropriate to give?
May 20, 2007 09:51
  • APAULT
In my experience, yes and no! I am always told by my friends that it isnt necessary, but yet they often do it themselves. When I am travelling it is seldom practical as most things are impromptu. But many of the gifts I experience are simply some cut watermelon or some other fruit. In my experience one is seldom invited to a home, entertaining is normally at a restaurant or similar and then it's a system of the inviter pays.
May 20, 2007 18:20
  • HOPE2008
Hehe, DAVEC, In mainland China , If you think no need to give them the gifts, you don't have to give them. It's up to you. People are quite different. Some people might think you come to my home, you are the friend coming from afar, we should give you a warm welcome, really no need to give us your gifts.
But some people might not think in this way. hehe. It all depends.
May 25, 2007 09:21
  • DAVEC
I am happy to hear I dont need to bring gifts. I was struggling to find enough gifts to bring for all you forum people.
Post a Reply to: Traditional to give gifts?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code