Menu
How long does it take to become fluent in speaking, reading and writing Chinese?
May 31, 2007 02:13
  • WINDENERGY
Thanks everybody for your encouragement. What I find truly amazing here is that my students WANT to help me become fluent in Chinese. I guess Deng XiaoPing's "open door" policy has trickled down through the entire population living here, leaving China a welcome host to even desparado's like me. Good thing that I am a ham and I love being teacher because there will always be teaching jobs in China.

Now, Paul, you seem like a good bloke (ha-ha!). May001 is 100% correct. The key is to not "fold" when the going gets tough. Just resolve in your heart and soul and it will come to pass. I have resolved to live in China as long as is necessary to become fluent in Mandarin. And, after 15 months, I know that I'm more than half-way there.

So, follow, JLEE0'S advice and remember that "it's never too late until you give up!!!

__WINDENERGY__
May 31, 2007 04:53
  • JLEE0
hi WINDENERGY ,
is your student also on this forum? who is it?

and PAUL, if you are able to spend some time in china, i'm sure that will help with your chinese.
anyway,if you once come to shanghai, remember to tell me, i can show you around and help you with your chinese.
i'd be very glad if i have chance to help you.
all of you ,haha
May 31, 2007 21:07
  • CHYNAGYRL
Windy, I think you're doing great, just keep studying and you're get there. Your struggle is inspiring to others.

By the way, why is it that Mormons can speak Chinese so perfectly? When I'm riding the subway here, some blond haired blue eyed Mormon guy walks up to me, with a tag saying Brother Richard, and starts talking to me in Mandarin. He spoke Mandarin like perfectly, and he couldn't have been older than 20 years old. They grow up in North America and then go study Mandarin in China. Unlike most laowai, they speak with a perfect Chinese accent. It's really really scary!!!! If you can find those Mormons and learn their secrets, then that'll help you. Please tell me if you find out how they do it, I wonder if it's sorcery?
May 31, 2007 21:39
  • JLEE0
i would like to say in language learning there is no magic but miracle.
if one lives in a family speak both chinese and english, he can do this(be fluent in both chinese and en) before 15.
i know a friend went to US with his family when he was 8, now he is 17, he can speak and write good chinese as well as english.
just try to be a part of it and you will find a miracle in yourself.
5years studing in china is long enough to make one become a native chinese speaker.
Jun 9, 2007 18:47
  • WINDENERGY
JLEE0,

Great advice. I think as a grown man, with a good head on my shoulders, I can "narrow" that 5 years to 2 and 1/2. The main thing is to not get discouraged by local variations of Putonghua. I lived in Xiamen last summer and trying to understand Fujian dialect of Mandarin was next to impossible. I'm hoping Kunming dialect will be more like Putonghua taught at Beijing's Language and Culture Institute.

Cheers,

__WINDENERGY__
Jun 23, 2007 03:53
  • JHOVER33
Well, this is my first time posting. I am going to China on August 2nd I have the same goal as you Windy. I want to become fluent. I know about 8 words right now maybe 10.

You've come a long way. Judging by what everyone is saying I suggest you enjoy it.

Remember when your a child and speaking with your friends. Its the same thing.

Remember not knowing what words were in text books and not being able to read your parents books or adult books?

I have a question for everyone. I want to live in China for a while but I want to come in on a business visa to learn Chinese and study.

Can I stay without leaving the country..what are my options>?

Also I want to buy a home. Ive been reading you have to have working or living experience for a year. Is this a continuous year.

Also, does this have anything to do with maintaining your residency permit for more then one year...

What are the exact precautions I should take before I leave for china. I would really like to settle down there and learn, teach and buy a home as soon as I can, before it gets expensive.

Also, (ha another question) If I live in Beijing for more then a year (for example) would I be able to buy a house in a different province after a year of living in China? Or, will I only be able to buy that home in Beijing?

Ive figured all my plans out already except this one.

Thank you, I hope someone can answer my question in a simple way. Simper then what I made this seem. Thanks.

-Justin

Jun 23, 2007 23:11
  • KSWONG
Most of us here in Asia are multi-lingual. I can speak 5 languages, for example. Now how difficult can it be to pick up a 2nd language? LOL!

Anyway, keep up the practice :)
Jun 24, 2007 03:05
  • DAVEC
Is that fluent in 5 languages or just know few words?
Jun 24, 2007 10:51
  • KSWONG
Fluent... as in able to hold a conversation effortlessly. :)
Jun 25, 2007 03:32
I'm hoping to learn Mandarin too as my girfriend speaks little English, from my experience of my being in China last year it's going to take me some time to learn.
I have enough trouble making myself understood here in London with my Somerset accent, so I have my work cut out.
Page 2 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How long does it take to become fluent in speaking, reading and writing Chinese?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code