Menu
Need advice on Train rides!
May 24, 2007 00:07
  • ZEROCOOL749
I want to make sure I should not have any problems arranging these train rides. My trip is from July 6th to July 21st. My plan was to arrange the train ride to the next city the first morning I am in the city. So my first morning in Shanghai I will arrange my train ride to Hangzhou.

Shanghai (3 days) -- train -- Hangzhou (3 days) -- overnight train -- Zhengzhou (3 days) -- train -- Luoyang (3 days) -- train -- Xian (3 days) --- overnight Z train --- Beijing (5 days)

I was worried about getting a overnight train from Hangzhou to Zhenzhou.

Is this plan of getting it the first morning reasonable? I have heard this is the best option since you cannot order your train ticket ahead one city. I cannot order my Hangzhou --> Zhengzhou ticket while in Shanghai. I have to wait until I am in Hangzhou.

Thank you!
May 24, 2007 01:04
Yes,normally, you can't order your train ticket ahead one city. So you'd better get the ticket first time while arriving the city. K656 (train number) is the one from Hangzhou to Zhengzhou.
Leaving at 17.55, arriving at 6.50 next morning.
May 24, 2007 02:23
  • LEOPOLD219
Tommorrow is right!!
The first thing to do on your arrival in Hangzhou, is to buy the ticket!
I search the information on the internet. Hope it helps! : )
Train Number Departuretime Arriving Time Ticket Price
1706/1707 18:26 12:24 Hard Seat: 70RMB
Soft Seat: 125RMB
Hard Sleeper: 142RMB (upstairs)
153RMB (downstairs)
Soft Sleeper: 233 RMB (upstairs)
244 RMB (downstairs)
2305/2308 14:28 06:22 Hard Seat: 67RMB
Soft Seat: 118RMB
Hard Sleeper: 135 RMB (upstairs)
145 RMB (downstairs)
Soft Sleeper: 220 RMB (upstairs)
231 RMB (downstairs)
May 24, 2007 03:01
  • STOCKTOV
Yes, Leopold and Tommorowneverdie are both right, of course: can't order tickets ahead. It's a bit of a pain, but just get used to going right back into the ticket hall the second you arrive in a city and buy your departure ticket.

You won't have any trouble getting from Hangzhou to Zhengzhou. I have done that same journey.

You might want to consider a different mode of travel between Zhengzhou and Luoyang. It's only about an hour and a half between the two cities, maybe two hours. I'm sure you're planning to see Shaolin temple and Shaolin is actually about halfway between Luoyang and Zhengzhou. So you could take a bus from Zhengzhou to Shaolin and check out Shaolin and the Song mountains (I recommend staying overnight there and climbing the mountains one day after seeing Shaolin...they're amazing--but try not to get ripped off in Shaolin). And then take another bus from Shaolin to Luoyang.

If you don't feel comfortable taking the bus or staying overnight in Shaolin then it's easy to join a day trip tour from either Zhengzhou or Luoyang, and you can just stick with your original plan of taking the train between the two cities.
May 24, 2007 03:57
  • MIRANDAZHAO
I think your route is quite good. Have a nice trip~
May 24, 2007 14:47
  • ZEROCOOL749
Thank you all for your advice and assistance!

Stocktov: I do plan on seeing the Shaolin Temple, and staying/climbing the Song mountains is a great idea! Where would I stay at the mountain? Do you have a specific place that you stayed at that you can reccommend? I shouldn't have any problems finding a bus to Luoyang from Shaolin?

Thank you again all!
May 27, 2007 16:12
  • PETERSEAFORD
will be doing some train travel on our trip - travel agent says "soft sleeper"but now i see there is also up or down stairs. would some one please advise me about the differences?

also i have read that some words are "pingin" what does that mean ?
regards peter

May 27, 2007 20:13
guess whe picture will show the up and down stairs in soft sleeper. The upper one is bit cheaper!

May 27, 2007 21:37
  • MAY001
You may read the introduction of China railway and see the pictures at
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/railway.htm
May 30, 2007 08:51
  • APAULT
In soft sleepers there are only 4 people in a compartnment so up and down is not so important, but in hard sleepers there are 6, three to each side. The bottom bunk is often used as a seat by the upper berths...so u lose you freedom. Of course if the owner of the bottom bunk toughs it out and wants to sleep all the time.....and many Chinese do!.... you may find you don't have a seat in the compartemnt. There are also seats in the corridor which people from other carriages might also come and use.

You take yr choice. My preference in hard sleepers is the middle one...lowest I dont like for the reasons explained, the upper is a hell of a climb and you risk a broken neck getting out (ok so I exaggerate a little)!
May 18, 2010 12:24
GUEST31158 Does the train have power hook-up available in the hard or soft sleepers? Will need to plug in CPAP machine to sllep at night.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Need advice on Train rides!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code