Menu
Road Distances in China
May 24, 2007 22:30
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi all,

A bit of an odd request, but I am trying to find out some "exact" road distances in China, between various cities and provinces. I have been trying to locate some information on the internet but am so far not having any luck.

I have several maps, but none of them specify the distances, via road, between cities.

Has anyone any bright ideas or suggestions ?

Anything would be welcome :)

Thanks
May 24, 2007 23:16
  • MAY001
Find a 公路地图 and I'm sure you can find road distances.
May 25, 2007 03:54
  • FAERIEQUEENE
i have the same problems when planning out my xinjiang trip and have to rely on people mentioning the distance and time between places in the travel books available...
May 25, 2007 15:28
  • GRIZ326
You might try using a mapwheel. The precision gets better as the 1:xxxxxxxxx scale changes downward. If you want very rough distances, I'd be glad to run my mapwheel across my Lonely Planet China map. The scale is 1:50000000 (I think) so the precision isn't very good.
May 31, 2007 20:58
  • CHYNAGYRL
isn't there a Chinese language website that helps people find road information like this? There should be!

And I have a question too. I tried to turn on the roads in China in Google Map and then measure the distance between cities using the ruler, but there seems to be no road info in China. Why didn't anyone put any there -- unless China already has their own version of that kind of map.
May 31, 2007 21:41
  • LEMONCACTUS
Thanks for the replies everyone. If I have any luck, I'll post the information here.

Griz, thanks, but I already have rough distances.

Perhaps in general as car use is still reasonably small in China, this kind of information just doesn't exist yet ?
Jun 2, 2007 00:05
  • GRIZ326
Just a question about this...

Is it possible that topography maps are thought to have military value and are therefore unavailable?

Or is it more likely that the market for these maps does not yet have a big enough base to support the production of the maps?
Jun 2, 2007 03:51
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
Chynagyrl, I don't know why, but Google Maps just doesn't have maps for China. Click it over to the satellite view and you'll get something, but I don't know if you'll be able to get your distance ruling thing to work.

Griz, I think you're right on the military value, but I also think there's a big enough market for such maps to be produced. For years now I've been seeing maps, map books, road atlases and other such things in Chinese bookshops apparently aimed at those who would travel by road. Almost all entirely in Chinese, of course, so I think it's us foreigners they're worried about. They have been cracking down on foreigners doing surveying and meteorological work lately.....
Jun 2, 2007 10:44
  • APAULT
I don't think there has been sufficient market and even now not many people travel long distances.

Use train sidyances from TCG train trips as a starting guide
Mar 27, 2008 10:01
GUEST01104 what is the road distance bettween shanghai & changzhou
Mar 27, 2008 22:15
  • ELLYSE
178 km.
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Road Distances in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code