Menu
Decent Scale Maps for Backpackers and Hikers
May 24, 2007 23:58
  • LAO3HAN4RICK
I have been searching for decent maps of China with scale much better than what is generally available, even over the Internet. The best scale I have seen on the Internet is generaly 1:500,000. They are useless for hikers and backpackers.

I am looking for something like 1:24,000 (1 cm. = 240 meters), which would clearly identify paths and small trails and roads, generally of dirt or gravel surface something like our topographical maps here in the U.S. What would be the best source of these maps in China - local bookstores or? Thanks in advance.

理查 Rick

May 25, 2007 01:19
  • EVENING
Yes I think you can buy an ideal map in the local bookstores, not only for the whole China, but also for the specified cities! : )
May 25, 2007 03:52
  • FAERIEQUEENE
i find them unavailable too... that's why tour guides are so popular and might be a must for remoter areas
May 25, 2007 05:02
  • JABAROOTOO
There is not much available yet. My friends use a small provincial touring book of maps similar to what you might get from AAA or equivalent. I have just given it back but will borrow again and get the publishers details. I'm not sure if it is available in other provinces but it should be. Only drawback is that is has no English but it does have small roads and distances (LEMONCACTUS)

For small hiking trails there won;t be much unless posted by fellow enthusiast like yourselves. You could have a look at this site which has a limited number of really interesting places.
http://www.chinabackpacker.com/

I found this website recently which I think is pretty clear but not so detailed but has Pinyin spelling for place names at least

http://www.maps-of-china.net

These appear to be scanned from the source and are not too bad
May 25, 2007 10:18
  • FAERIEQUEENE
amazing sources, thank you!
May 25, 2007 15:09
  • GRIZ326
I actually joined the chinabackpacker site. I may have to change my agenda a bit because of it. :)
May 30, 2007 11:33
  • APAULT
Excellent.. I will spend time rerading up from this site too.

Hey Griz, is Guangzhou right off the list now ?
May 31, 2007 11:36
  • GRIZ326
I have 2 days in Guangzhou, Paul. Are you going to be around? Maybe we could hook up?
Post a Reply to: Decent Scale Maps for Backpackers and Hikers
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code