Menu
Marriage... How does a foreigner marry a chinese woman?
Jun 10, 2007 14:13
  • ROGERINCA
I forgot to add:

In Guangzhou, the civil marriage office has their own photographer. They will take the required passport style photos that are attached to the official government file and as well to the little red marriage book you will each receive. One does not have to worry about this aspect.

Moreover, they will also take several other wedding style photos and offer (your option) to sell various package options to you, in a special wedding folder at a very modest price.

All in all, they have made it very easy to complete this process in the large southern city of Guangzhou. I cannot speak to the procedures in other parts of China.
Jun 18, 2007 00:24
  • ASPDX
Hello

I've been reading your helpful posts. I shall be traveling China in August for my second visit. I will also be marrying my special friend.

My question is this: is it easier to bring her back to the U.S. if we are married first in China or is it preferable to attain a "fiance visa" and get married in the U.S.

If we marry in China, was are the steps to bring her back with me to the U.S.?

thanks
Jun 19, 2007 11:32
  • APAULT
You need to speak to people in the US immigration and find out the rules.

If you can get yr fiancee into the US I would look at formally marryingthere, it is simpler. Nothing to stop u having a wedding ceremony in China before you leave. In China the official marriage and the ceremony are quite distinct. To many families it is the ceremony that is important so you can have that in China but not get legally married until you get to the US.
Jun 25, 2007 03:15
Hello
I'm hopefully going back to China in October, where I'm planning to marry my Han Jing somewhere in Hunan province, not too sure just yet as she in the process of changing her job, it looks likely Yueyang city or Changsha which ever I cant wait.
I have found it very useful reading these posts as I'm still doing my research, I look forward to being able to post some good news soon.
Jun 28, 2007 22:20
  • ROGERINCA
To: ASPDX

Sorry I did not see your post last week.

I can answer your questions very specifically, as I married my Lao Po in China and have filed for K-3 and 4, and I have other close friends who have married in the USA on a Fiancée Visa which is the K-1 and 2. I expect my wife and child will receive their visas after the first of the new year.

Looking at the historical trends, the fiancée visa (K-1) has been somewhat faster than the spousal visa (K-3). In recent months, the two are in a ‘horserace’ for final interview date at the US Consulate in Guangzhou. It is a matter of personal preference on which to pursue.

I married in China, because it was important to Lao Po that her family be involved with the event. We went through the official civil marriage ceremony in Guangzhou, received our little red marriage books, and the next day we had the family wedding supper at a local hotel banquet room. Please note that a marriage that is legal in another jurisdiction (China) is deemed to be legal in any state in the USA. A second marriage ceremony is not required for it to be valid in America.

The process, be it for the K-1 or the K-3 is not a simple one.

The US government is concerned about immigration fraud as well as national security. The process is longer and more paper intensive now, since 9-11.

The main issues are: Fraud, i.e., is the marriage/relationship one that is of a bona fide nature. Next is support, can the American citizen meet minimum income levels and support the foreign national and not allow her to become a public charge. Domicile, does the American citizen have a valid domicile in the US. Background: The new IMBRA regulations/law signed into effect in March 2006, requires disclosure of any criminal past of the American citizen with a focus on spousal abuse and/or sex crimes etc.

There is a mountain of paperwork and USCIS forms to complete, with milestones and many steps along the way. Moreover, there are government fees to be paid. In this regard, on July 31st, the fee schedule will increase sharply, for many of the fee based steps of the process.

The entire process will take anywhere from 8 months to 12 months on average, from date of first filing. Moreover, after the spouse/fiancée arrives there are still steps and fees to follow up on to make the process valid.
An American citizen has a right to marry anyone of their choice. However, one does not have a ‘right’ to have his/her spouse or fiancée immigrate to the USA.

Moreover, the chances of a single female Chinese national, getting a tourist visa to the USA are nearly impossible. It is also not possible if you have married her in China. Her status does not change/improve in this regard.

Last, all American citizen marriage visas are now centrally handled/processed (in the end) at the US Consulate in Guangzhou. This is where the final and mandatory interview is conducted by a USCIS officer.

Jun 29, 2007 05:39
  • SAGID
hi guys from all your discussion i have learned that a married man can not marry a chinese girl. is it true?
Jun 29, 2007 06:35
  • ROGERINCA
I can assure you, the legal and moral concept of ‘bigamy’ is alive and well in the PRC……… :) :)
Jun 29, 2007 06:35
  • SAGID
dear members have i correctly understood from your discussion that a married foreigner can not marry a cchinese girl?
Jun 29, 2007 07:19
You can only marry if you are divorced, so the answer is no.
Jul 1, 2007 01:03
  • APAULT
China requires you to show that you are eligible to marry as previously atated. If you are already married you cannot marry in China. Also I understsnd it is not legal to have sex with a married person.... but that is not an enforced law as Roger the Inca says!
Page 2 of 56    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Marriage... How does a foreigner marry a chinese woman?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code