Menu
The Shawshank Redemption -- Salvation of Soul
May 29, 2007 02:06
  • LEONARDO
The Shawshank Redemption is a brilliant movie I have ever seen.To some extent, it deserves the Best Motion Picture. Though I am quite aware that it was defeated by the classic Forrest Gump, (another classic Oscar film) I still regard The Shawshank Redemption as one of the Oscar classics
SR(the Shawshank Redemp[tion) is a great movie of realism. It exposes the hell-like life in the Shawshank prison. In our common minds, a prison is a place to reform the culprits, so the staff and warden should set a good example for the wrongdoers, and teach them what is right or wrong. However, Shawshank Prison is a hell, which is full of corruption, inhumanity. How can we rely on such a hell to salvage a person with minor fallibilities? In my opinion, it is a place that make a man of integrity degenerated and even commit crimes. Here, these fallible creatures are institutionalized, and they are forced to live in fear. Even if someday they have the chance to rejoin society, having been institutionalized, these former convicts would feel alienated from society, they may not have enough courages to continue their lives. As the narrator of the movie says, it is a terrible thing to live in fear.
The protagnist Andy is a great hero, and he brings to me some inspiration,that is how to salvage our own souls in a tiresome society. As he says, " Hope is a good thing, maybe the best thing, and a good thing never dies." It is hope that make Andy endure the 20-year hell-like life in the Shawshank Prison. Keeping faith will make life easier and happier.
This is why I call this movie Salvation of Soul, actully this is what the director and the author try to convey to us: although life is troublesome and imperfect, we still need to keep our hopes and faiths, and HOPE is best medicine for the salvation of SOUL!
A fabulous movie, isn't it? I think one of the reason for its failure to claim the Oscar Best Motion Picture is that SR reveal the dark side of the society,especially the scandle of American prison system,although it is so true. The conservative critics and judges of Academy of Art dare not and are unwilling to present Oscar's most important award to such a critical but realistic movie! In addition, SR crashed into the Forrest Gump , which is also quite brilliant,and of course one of my favorites.
May 29, 2007 03:40
  • MIRANDAZHAO
A thoughtful movie. However, it's sad that no Chinese movie is as great as this one.
May 29, 2007 19:36
  • KEVIN0518
I watched this movie. It is really good.
Jun 1, 2007 10:21
  • DAVEC
It is my favourite movie.
Jun 3, 2007 22:37
  • MAY001
The Shawshank Redemption made everyone in the world know the terrible things the Nazi done to Jews. Sadly, less people know the miserable experience of Chinese people during the Anti-Japanese War.
Jun 4, 2007 00:32
  • KEVIN0518
Tokyo Trial is good and worth watching.

Jul 2, 2007 20:06
  • LEOPOLD219
The Shawshank Redemption is similar to another Oscar movie Who Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest.
Post a Reply to: The Shawshank Redemption -- Salvation of Soul
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code