Menu
Dong Po Ro in Hangzhou?
May 30, 2007 11:15
I got a suggestion from a friend to go to Dong Po Ro in Hangzhou to eat. I'm not sure if it was a dish or a restaurant that she was telling me that I should do. Any help?
May 30, 2007 12:31
  • JHALLUCINE
It's probably the famous pork dish, but I'm not sure if there's any restaurant also going by that name in Hangzhou...not very likely IMO, since dong po rou is too general and widely available in other regions of China too, not some specialty a restaurant would want to name itself after.
May 30, 2007 18:55
Great thanks! Now that I know it is actually a dish, are there any suggestions to which restaurant I should go to for it?
May 30, 2007 21:23
  • KATRINA
Well, actually there are many restaurants.You can go to Lou Wai Lou (楼外楼).
Address: 30 Gushan Road, Hangzhou.
Tips: You'd better to make reservation before you go there because there are too many people there.
You can dial 0571)87969023 87969682 to make reservation.
May 30, 2007 22:53
KATRINA is right,welcome to Shanghai!
May 31, 2007 00:49
  • JHALLUCINE
Good restaurants abound in Hangzhou, just be careful you don't go for the 'tourist' ones (those near to places of interest and luxuriously decorated) and get kinda ripped off. Get recommendations from your friend or locals or the guesthouse/hotel people, ask where THEY go out to treat themselves usually, that's the true local flavour. =)

Last time i was there I had Shizi Tou--"lion head"--which is a huge ball of minced pork with finely chopped vegetable and stuff, wasn't as stunning as i expected. I'd recommend xiaolong bao--they have some famous chain restaurants just doing that, whose name i forgot...
Jun 3, 2007 19:12
Wow! Hey thanks a lot for all of the tips, jhallucine! I'll keep an eye out for those touristy places and try to avoid them.
Jun 27, 2007 05:07
  • ELLYSE
Louwailou is rather touristy and expensive. I would rather recommend Zhi Wei Guan (知味观) on Gaoyin Jie (高银街). It's near Hefang Jie pedestrian street, about 20 mins walk from the east bank of West Lake.
Post a Reply to: Dong Po Ro in Hangzhou?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code