Menu
Is it worth travelling hard seat?
Jun 23, 2007 23:23
  • FEELIT
Hi Bence,
It's not necessary to worry about thieves and robbers in Sleeper classes (both soft and hard), it will not be much crowded there, the people in hard seat area can't get into the Sleeper area without a Sleeper ticket. If your looking is not so obviously rich, no crimials would like to pay the Sleeper cost to give a shot on you. Just pay more attention on your stuff before you get in the train and after you leave the train, the station area would be horriblely crowded at that time (Oct 1st - 7th), and the thieves will be so working then...
Jun 24, 2007 02:18
  • JABAROOTOO
I travel solo on trains, both hard and soft sleeper. I only take my valuable to the bathroom with me when I go, otherwise all my luggage is left where it can be seen by other. You will find that the people who share your compartment - 3 in soft lseeper and 5 in hardsleeper will probably keep and eye on things for you when you leave for whatever reason. It is the station as already mentioned where theft is more likely to be an issue for you. Some of the stations, major ones anyway now have separate waiting lounges for soft sleeper
Jun 24, 2007 06:55
  • FEELIT
Jabarootoo is right, following her advices would be necessary, those are exactly what I do when I'm traveling, they have become my subconscious operations everytime when I'm on the road, it's not good that I forgot to mention about that, but fortunately Jabarootoo help me covered it...
Jun 24, 2007 13:01
  • APAULT
I have to update my recent experiences. I did not observe the overcrowding when I travelled further south, so I will will consider my previous experinces as simply another reason for keeping a way from Hebei (I have commented on some issues in other threads).

I agree with Jabaroo... sleepers are quite safe and the other occupants will normally watch out for you when you step outside. 20 hours said one post.. I just did 31 hours on non-aircon for just 194 rmb. not only a great bargain but mush more pleasant than flying cattle class... ooops I mean economy class.

I said it was safe...but on my trip to Chongqing (hey Jabaroo I hope you are reading) I sahred a compartment with two cops and a villain ( a quaint word from London English) who was cuffed to the rail of his bunk. When we arrived in Chongqing, there were two photographers taking pictures of him being led down the platform. However, it sems he couldn't have been too dangerous because as I exited from the station, there was anothe vilain being led in by three cops and he had ankle cuffs as well as those on his hands. Is Chongqing safe...or is there just a little known trade in crims there ???? :)
Jun 24, 2007 14:53
  • BENCE8810
Thanks for all posts, this is very comforting, and actually this is how I imagined the ride would be, with no problems etc. I will take my valuables with me to the rest-room, and the luggage will stay.

Cheers

Ben
Jun 25, 2007 06:23
Very wise Ben, when I travelled from Beijing to Yueyang City ( 19 hours ) I had a hard sleeper and I found my fellow passengers looked out for me, some of the kindest people I have ever met, even so I kept my valuables with me, I don't trust anyone that much, as a security officer it comes natural for me to be wary.
On my return to Beijing I was with my girlfriend and we took hard seat class on a quicker train, very crowded and my knee stiffened up, I would book a sleeper in future unless it's a shorter journey.
Jun 26, 2007 22:57
  • APAULT
Yes Mr Gasman, that was the general point of my original post, the sleeper is well worth paying for. If you are doing it on the cheap, go non-aircon on the unlettered trains as they are cheaper.
Jun 27, 2007 01:15
  • COLAIDO
poor pual~~

u were travelling in the time that chinese college student's holiday, too many students came back home.maybe that's why u have this situation
Jun 27, 2007 09:11
  • JCNILE123
not at all, too tiresome...

however, i will be happy to travel hard sleeper or seat if i needed to do so, i think all of it boil down to dollars and cents.

Feb 22, 2008 03:40
GUEST35149 if you want to save your money you choose this way to travel in China
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Is it worth travelling hard seat?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code